BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

radiator removal

• littletriple
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2018 14:50 #194872 by littletriple
Replied by littletriple on topic radiator removal

NicBe wrote: Just removed mine today,
Drain fluid
Unbolt fan cowling 3 Bottom 2 top, remove bolts completely or they will fowl the fan when you lift it out
Remove top hose
Remove bottom hose
Unbolt rad, 2 10mm bolts at top sides of rad
Move cowl as far forward to engine as pos
Lift rad out, hand spin the fan as you lift to allow the bottom outlet space you'll see.

Takes longer to drain than remove

Is this with aircon?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NicBe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2018 03:16 #194884 by NicBe
Replied by NicBe on topic radiator removal
Yes no need to touch aircon

More
07 Aug 2018 09:30 #194890 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic radiator removal
You can change the engine without removing the AC.
But not without removing the radiator.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
03 Sep 2023 10:54 #250644 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic radiator removal
Has anyone done this on an auto?  The manual suggests there are two additional hoses and some ATF will be lost.  No pictures, though.  I'm inclined to do the drive belts without radiator removal if this is the case.

More
04 Sep 2023 12:20 #250656 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic radiator removal
Yes, the transmission hoses are at the bottom of the radiator. I'd be inclined to do it with the rad in. Belt change is relatively easy job, if a bit tight for space. The bits you cant see are an 8mm Allen key bolt that is the pivot for the alternator and a 10mm Allen key hole in the power steering tensioner to use to tighten it. Everything else is 12mm.
Removing the top radiator bolts and leaning it forward allows you a precious few mm extra space.

More
04 Sep 2023 12:36 #250657 by rogerzilla
Replied by rogerzilla on topic radiator removal
Just had a go but the 12mm main bolt for the tensioner is extremely tight (the belts look original, and they will be, unless someone has adhered to time as well as mileage service intervals - yeah right) and it's not a location I want to flood with releasing fluid in case I still can't loosen it - slippy belts!

I can see the ATF hoses underneath and my guess is that a fair bit of fluid would be held up in the rad, so I don't fancy disconnecting them.

Might have to farm this one out to a neighbour mechanic!

More
05 Sep 2023 05:17 #250671 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic radiator removal
pretty sure the only jobs I removed my rad for was the starter motor and the engine itself.

I would do a careful spray of WD40 penetrating (the special one) on the bolts on day one (with a rag to stop spillage to the belts) and then trying to dismantle on day two..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds