BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Off Road Long Distance Prep

• X88RED
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2018 12:01 #194466 by X88RED
Off Road Long Distance Prep was created by X88RED
Hi all!

I will be travelling from Chamonix to Monaco off road shortly in my Jimny (approximately 600 miles through the Alps - route includes Italian Alps).

I am in the middle of planning and would like to see what peoples personal thoughts are as to what I should be taking with me as car spares/ essentials? Also in peoples experience what are the most common things to fail if they do.. terrain is going to mainly rock/ loose gravel.

Thank you!
Redmond

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NIKOS OETA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2018 13:48 #194467 by NIKOS OETA
Replied by NIKOS OETA on topic Off Road Long Distance Prep
first thing that can fail in long distance in rocky terrain is the rear shock bolts in lower mount. You can drille the mount and replace the standar bolt with bolt and secure nut. And then you can always have a spare with you. Because if the standard bolt broke in the lower mount ..... goodbye! You can do anything to fix it, in the mountains!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Jul 2018 19:09 #194478 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Off Road Long Distance Prep
over 600 miles there shouldnt be much go wrong if its well maintained,

I would consider to take spares to rebuild bearings/axles as the most likley thing to go, so kingpin bearings, axle oil seals, wheel bearings (and abs ring if applicable), shocks (as mentioned the mount is weak at axle).

My J999MNY takes regular hard trips, running 31's & lockers and generally seems to need rear wheel bearings, front kingpin bearings, front wheel bearings and brake pads every 4-6000 miles. Things like the axle mounts for shocks, arms, etc are all reinforced with thick plate steel to stop the holes going oval. A standard jim axle doesnt last long without this work. The price you pay for superb ability i guess!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
19 Jul 2018 20:05 #194481 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Off Road Long Distance Prep
I keep meaning to get a pair of engine belts off Martin to pop in my spares box...

My spares box contains at least a pair of each of the bolts found on my suspension, spare wheel studs, wheel nuts, transfer box mounts, radius arms bolts, shock bolts, panhard rod bolts, etc, and one of each threaded tie-rod-end, brake fluid, washer fluid, an empty water bottle (you can always find a stream), various bits of wire, scotch-loks, fuses.

First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher....

More
20 Jul 2018 10:16 #194499 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Off Road Long Distance Prep

S200KYS wrote: I keep meaning to get a pair of engine belts off Martin to pop in my spares box...

If you have the M series engine without air con, there is enough adjustment in the alternator to allow it to run the longer power steering belt. I run the same belts on both and carry 1 spare :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds