BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Oil leak at the rear off side wheel

More
16 Jul 2018 21:10 - 16 Jul 2018 21:35 #194352 by HUN
Hi Martin.

I've checked and it is the oil from the diff/axle.

Now the question is what has caused this? I did not offroading at all and run only about 6k miles since it's been replaced last Summer.
Thanks for your advice.

Regards, Gabor

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2018 21:35 by HUN.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2018 07:37 #194360 by mlines
Rear wheel bearing design on the jimny is awful, bearing is exposed to the elements so they can wear quickly. It is also possible to bend the shaft or axle casing as well which will cause premature failure

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
17 Jul 2018 08:07 #194361 by sniper
Two bearings on a shaft, all the load at one end, constant shocks from potholes and bumps. Dirty hot environment it doesn't take a lot of explaining.

Early failure can be caused by many factors also, a single grain of sand whilst fitting is enough. Miss seating by the tiniest of fractions puts both races out of line and places enormous point loads on the balls or rollers. All generate heat and once the bearing is cooking the hardness is affected and it fails.

Bearings should be handled with food hygiene standards of cleanliness and their housings too, very difficult to do on a car......

Another sad variable is quality, some bearings are cheaply produced with poor quality steel and even worse heat treatments, always buy the best quality that you can. Saving a few pounds on bearings is not the thing to do, the jimny is pretty new to me but I understand that the Koyo are the bearings to use.

sniper

More
17 Jul 2018 09:37 - 17 Jul 2018 09:38 #194376 by HUN
Thank you all for your comment and advice.

A year ago I got fitted Koyo beatings by a mechanic and this repair will not be exception. As you pointed out fitting properly is at least as important as good quality materials. Unfortynately I have no control over fitting issues as I don't feel confident doing tasks like replacing bearings and bleeding brakes. I'm on the right track to achieve this in my life but it's just a poor timing for this learning excersise...
I've ordered everything from Martin (hopefully everything will be with me shortly), the car is in my garage so there is really no reason not to do myself except my confidence level... :) I will see after tonight.

Regards, Gabor

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 09:38 by HUN.

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds