BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear wheel bearing and retainer question

More
20 Jun 2018 07:45 #193655 by LM42
hello all

please help!

need to change the rear axle seals, and bearings , have read a lot on how to get them off, the axle , but how do you get the bearing on and the retainer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2018 08:48 #193660 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Rear wheel bearing and retainer question
With a piece of tubing and a hammer.

Helps a bit putting the shaft in the freezer and heating the bearing a retainer a bit.

More
20 Jun 2018 10:09 - 20 Jun 2018 10:10 #193664 by yakuza
Did this on my SJ but same design. Careful with heating the bearing, you can heat it in your stove at max 100 C cause it is not so tight. the shaft you can put in the freezer over night. the retainer you can heat a lot to 200 or so C degrees.

Do keep everything ready like a proper long enough piece of tube that fits, and a large persuader (hammer) at hand, because as soon as the retainer touches the cold shaft it will cool down fast. Mine got stuck half way down and needed serious force to come all the way down on the shaft.

remember to let it cool to normal temp before you insert it into the new sealing.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 10:10 by yakuza.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Jun 2018 17:41 #193676 by Riccy
I take mine to a local garage, £10 usually gets them bunged on with their very large (and very old) hydraulic press. No heating or cooling, just a coffee while i wait usually :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
20 Jun 2018 19:07 #193683 by helijohn

Riccy wrote: I take mine to a local garage, £10 usually gets them bunged on with their very large (and very old) hydraulic press. No heating or cooling, just a coffee while i wait usually :laugh:

Me too.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
22 Jun 2018 11:24 #193731 by safari
With a piece of tube and a good hammer.
very easy job

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

More
24 Jun 2018 09:45 #193780 by yakuza

Riccy wrote: I take mine to a local garage, £10 usually gets them bunged on with their very large (and very old) hydraulic press. No heating or cooling, just a coffee while i wait usually :laugh:

Sounds like the best way to do this!
Be careful not to overheat the coffee though :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
24 Jun 2018 15:10 #193787 by kirkynut
I would not be putting a bearing in an oven if you want it to have all of its grease in it and in a useable state.

Just buy a press or pay someone with a press a nominal fee to do it for you.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
24 Jun 2018 20:49 #193797 by LM42
yep, aware of that

got a basic Hydraulic press coming from en
bay that will do the job, fit for size, thank you all for the replys!

More
27 Jun 2018 08:14 - 27 Jun 2018 08:15 #193834 by facade
Grandmothers & eggs and things- but don't forget to put the brake backplate on before the bearing ;)

It is easy to forget when you are excited to try out something like a new press :)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 08:15 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds