BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Tire help!

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2018 14:36 #193523 by mdog18
Tire help! was created by mdog18
Hi guys,

I've recently fitted a custom heavy duty front bumper on my Jimny and its lead to a slight sag in the nose of the car. I was hoping to fit some BFG KO2 215's next week but I'm now a bit nervous as to whether the tires will fit without a body lift considering the suspension is fairly worn on my car too. I thought I would ask those who have fitted 215's on unlifted Jimny's how tight of a fit the 215's are on the stock Jimny. Do they fit with only a slight margin? If so I doubt I will be able to fit the tires without a body lift first.

Would love anybody's opinion.

Thanks,
Mdog18.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Jun 2018 16:08 #193524 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tire help!
post a side on picture of the bumper and front wheel. I would guess that the new bumper is a lot smaller than the original one so unlikley to be a problem.

When they catch the front bumper its usually the lower bit. so if yours is a lot higher then you should be fine

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
16 Jun 2018 16:34 #193525 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tire help!
I put 215/75x15 BFG's on my car with no mods and very worn suspension, they just caught the odd time, when off road. Other than that, on road there was no issue but they looked close. I am on standard alloys with no spacers.

Sounds like you are where I was with my suspension, I decided to change springs/shocks and it has transformed the car.

sniper

• mdog18
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2018 17:52 #193527 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Tire help!
This is the front two wheels
Attachments:

More
17 Jun 2018 01:23 #193538 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Tire help!
As Riccy says, the bumper you have will provide a little more clearance than stock. Even with the stock bumper, 215/75r15 SHOULD fit without catching (even at full compression of the front suspension). Due to difference in the profile of different manufacturers (as sniper proves) and/or use of spacers, it is impossible to guarantee unless someone has already fitted the same as you are asking about. I don't have BFG on mine so can't help with that.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Jun 2018 05:47 #193540 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Tire help!
Nothing to worry about with the bumper. Its loads smaller than the standard one. Even my 31x10.5 wouldnt catch that!

Mine had 215 BFG ATs on when i bought it with the same wheels as you. Only time it would (rarely) catch was at the back of the wheel arch, under compression and turning. Rears never caught on anything. That was with standard suspension as well.

30mm wheel spacers meant it would catch a lot more on the back of the arch.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
17 Jun 2018 09:10 #193544 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tire help!
As the guys have said, there won't be any issue with the bumper, there's plenty of room.

My car had 65k on it and I changed to std height springs with 15mm seats and got this with 215's std offset.

I would suggest you consider springs and shocks before a body lift, you'll get much more from the car in both on and off road performance. Fresh road springs and Monroe dampers can be had for under £300.

The front might benefit from lift springs due to the weight of the steel bumper, 2" lift springs are often about secondhand, seen full sets for £120 on fb.

sniper
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds