BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Steering box play -is it a common problem?

More
25 May 2018 06:57 #192931 by yakuza
I have adjusted it to try to reduce the play, but i still think the play just comes back after a while.
Adjusting too tight will make it snag in the full right/left position so there is a limit to the adjusting.

Many others that also have too much play on the steering wheel?

Mine has 100000km on it.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 09:42 #192936 by sniper
There is some play in mine at similar milage to yours Yakuza, I have decided to buy a recon steering box. It's more of an annoyance and doesn't interfere with safe use, so it's a way down the list of things to do. Lots of points for wear in the arms/rods too so I'll be changing the lot over time.

I have never tried to improve a box and rod steering system, never rallied a truck but plenty do. The best way I suppose is hydraulic.

sniper

More
26 May 2018 13:34 #192960 by kirkynut
Steering boxes will always have some play but they can be adjusted usually. Replacing it is not usually necessary. If it were a Land Rover I'd say differently!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Mole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2018 12:34 #196855 by Mole
I have a fair bit of play in mine it's done 87000 and was going to adjust the steering box what's the best way to not over do it.?

More
18 Oct 2018 18:58 #196861 by Busta
Slacken the nut and tighten the threaded rod a little at a time, turning the wheels from lock to lock each time until if starts to feel a little stiff at full lock. That's how I did it anyway. It took out most of the play around straight ahead.

• Mole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2018 19:25 #196862 by Mole
Thanks had a play with it early and think iv sorted it

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds