BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
21 May 2018 15:19 - 21 May 2018 15:50 #192845 by X8GGY
I recently spotted these little gadgets mentioned on another thread in this fine forum, and thought I'd get one...These are little "heads up" displays that read data live from the OBD2 diagnostic port located under the dashboard (photo further down), a lot seem to beam the data onto the inside of the glass of the windscreem, but I wanted one that was a bit more robust and easier to read, so a colour screen facing me... The Autool one I spotted also featured an adjustable speed correction which is fantastic for a Jimny with bigger tyres fitted!

So it arrived -

In some very smart black boxes with an instruction book...

The OBD2 connector is just under the driver's left knee (on a UK model)

The plug just, errr, plugs in...

And the little device springs into life using power from the OBD2 plug, so no other power connectors or batteries are needed.

With the Jimny resting on the drive, 0 km/h*, 32 degrees ambient water temperature in the radiator and 11.7V coming out of the battery with the engine not running...

* this is easy to set to mph in the menus

Engine now running, the water temperature rises a bit and the voltage rises to 14V with the engine running and the alternator prviding more power to the battery(s). 912 is the RPM as I shifted the screen display from road speed...

Not a great photo, but this is the error code reader section of the software (no codes present :) )

I had a run out and logged the speed against my iPhone running a GPS speedometer and changed the speed in the software to display at 104% which seemed about right :)

It was interesting to note that the speed from the OBD2 data port was different to that shown on the actual speedometer in the dashboard?! Although in the photo below it does read similar...

When driving the RPMs are show as a coloured bar across the bottom under the speed, the idea being to show you when to shift gear (this is also settable in the menus as an audible alarm)

A great little gadget then! It now shows a more accurate speed representation, water temperature that means something rather than looking at the gauge and thinking "it looks a bit warm"? LOL, and a nice readout of the actual voltage being produced / from the battery at rest...

It's possible to change the screen to show lots more options of data, and to set speed, revs and water temperature alarms, etc... And as said above to even read and reset error codes from the ECU, so well worth the small cost of one of these, or similar, little gadgets!
Last edit: 21 May 2018 15:50 by X8GGY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, nedkelly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2018 19:36 #192847 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display
How much was it? And does the obd2 port live there on all models as mine is a 2001?

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
21 May 2018 20:01 #192848 by X8GGY
I paid a bit over the top at £39~ but it was from a UK seller and was delivered quickly... they are available cheaper...

Hmmm, I don't know when the change to OBD2 was made... someone more knowledgeable will be along soon ;)

Where's Rhinoman when you need him ;)

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
21 May 2018 20:51 #192849 by X8GGY
Old thread on the OBD2 question - www.bigjimny.com/forum/6-jimny-chat/4443...have-obd2-ports.html

The port looks like a scart TV socket.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2018 21:56 #192850 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display
Nice. But are there any readings of oil temperature or pressure?

More
22 May 2018 05:42 #192855 by yakuza

MadsV wrote: Nice. But are there any readings of oil temperature or pressure?

I do not think there is such info in the cars system. I haven't seen it available and i do not think there is analogue sensors to provide it.
The car just have the on/off oil pressure sensor (I think) and analogue water temp sensor.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2018 19:21 #192923 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display
Checked that link but not conclusive. I have a 2002 soft top which is under major work and cannot see anywhere the plug, left or right foot-well. I have yet to check the 2001 car.

More
24 May 2018 19:37 #192924 by mlines
UK drivers side, up under bottom lip of the dash

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2018 14:28 #192946 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Re:Review of Autool OBD2 Reader / Display
Yes Martin I have looked there and there is no sign of it and as the pax compartment is stripped out access is easy.

More
28 May 2018 19:17 #193008 by cailean
On the back of this thread (thanks) I went and bought one from Amazon (£30 and delivered next day). I have installed it in my wife's Forester to test it and it is really useful with lots of info available. The mph was spot on with an iphone GPS but of course lower than the car's speedo. The instructions are a bit brief as the company is Chinese but it is easy to figure it out.

More
29 May 2018 17:37 #193031 by mlines
I also have one and I am suspicious that mine is flattening the battery. Since having it the car has been used twice and each time it was flat. The first time I simply wondered if I had left the interior light on. The second time I knew all systems were off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
30 May 2018 07:37 #193048 by Sheepish
On my 2009 model the port is by my right knee. If you are sitting and feeling under the dash, its a couple of inches to the left of the bonnet pull.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds