BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

M13A engine overhaul service after 55 000 miles

More
04 May 2018 07:47 #192378 by Bosanek
I bought a Jimny with standard M13A VVT engine (with air conditioning and power steering) which has traveled 91 000 km (that is around 55 000 miles if I am correct).

The previous (1st) owner said that he has never done anything to the engine except changing engine oil, oil filter and air filter.

Now I want to do a proper regular maintenance, and I am wondering what should be done at this mileage.

I read the user manual and it says that right now is the time to change the following:
  1. Engine oil, oil filter and air filter (nothing special)
  2. Both driving belts
  3. All four spark plugs
  4. Engine coolant

However, I have not found any information if there is anything else to change at this mileage.
What about any belt tensioners (which ones), pulleys, water pump, sensors, gaskets, anything else?

Should also any engine part be preventively replaced at this mileage as a sound practice from general community experience?

I also intend to change all fluids in the vehicle (differentials, gear box, transfer box, brake, power steering, air conditioning) and the cabin filter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2018 09:42 #192383 by mickt
Diff oils generally do not need changing unless the car has done a lot of off roading into puddles. Just level checks but again if no leaks then they should be good. Remember the fill and drain plugs need a 10mm square bit and they are very tight. 55000 miles is low for major component changes in my opinion and brake fluid and coolant can be checked for condition. Spark plugs nowadays are designed to last a lot longer than the old days with fuel injection they do not get flooded and such too. The driving belts can be visually inspected for fraying but the bottom pulley is something that can delaminate on these. Unfortunately it is not always evident on a visual inspection though. What year is it by the way?

More
04 May 2018 09:42 #192384 by sniper
Mine had 65k miles on it and a good service with Mobil one has made it feel years younger, the vvt has come to life.

sniper

More
04 May 2018 10:44 #192387 by Bosanek
The car was made in 2013.

What is the part number or some other specifications of that bottom pulley? The drive belts are in bad condition and need replacing. So what's with the water pump and some other related parts when doing the belts?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
04 May 2018 17:43 #192405 by Riccy
The water pump and tensioner are inspect and replace if faulty items, so unless you suspect a problem i would just replace the betls and service as normal. 55k is low miles and the 1.3 VVT is a quality engine. the belts may have perished over the years a bit. I would expect a 2013 to be on original belts probably, which should have been replaced by now really.

If the new belts show excessive wear rate then i would look at the tensioner and the crank pulley. Martin sells new bearings, etc so the tensioner can be rebuilt and the crank pulley replaced. The water system is very strong on these motors also ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
04 May 2018 19:26 #192413 by kirkynut
I would do exactly as you planned but with a brake fluid change too as it's cheap and easy and you know when you did it.

Water pumps don't cause issues on these cars.

I'd also check the colour of the power steering fluid and if not cherry red, replace it too.

Kirkynut

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 May 2018 03:31 - 05 May 2018 03:32 #192418 by Bosanek
Thank you both for the answers.

There is actually a strong buzzing noise coming from the engine, and it's either one of the belts or some of the bearings (hopfeully nothing else!). I suspect the power steering belt pulley bearing, but I will only be known after removing the belts for due replacement.

Just to clarify, is the "tensioner" which Riccy mentioned actually this:
www.bigjimny.com/store/power-steering-te...er-bearing-m13a.html

And is the "crank pulley" this mighty expensive part:
www.bigjimny.com/store/crankshaft-pulley.html

By the way, should this crank pulley ever be replaced as a part of regular maintenance?

If the water pump happens to be making the noise, which aftermarket brands have proven to be good (Blueprint perhaps)?

P.S.: I do intend to change all fluids and filters in the vehicle, including the windshield washer fluid which got some foul odor :)
Last edit: 05 May 2018 03:32 by Bosanek.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 May 2018 04:54 #192421 by Riccy
Thats the parts. Check with Martin as he sells a cheaper crank pulley than the branded suzuki one (which is what ive been using for over a year ok).

The noise could be the A/C compressor also as thats on the same belt as the power steering. This can be bypassed with a 4PK850 belt if needed for testing purposes (or permanently). I have seized bearings in mine, but have found you can swap the pulley from another compressor without loosing the gasses from the A/C. The donor identical pulley/clutch part i have is from an ignis i think, yet to fit however as its a radiator out job to get at it.

A listening stick is the way to find the cause of the noise. You could run the engine briefly with no belts on or one removed to see if that helps trace it.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
05 May 2018 08:59 #192424 by Busta
Definitely no need to go over the top with maintenance on these engines! I'm sure many of the ones we see at 100k+ miles have got there on just cheap oil and filter services. Even the iridium plugs last far beyond the service schedule with no issues.
If you are changing the belts you might as well take the rad off and drain the coolant too, and I'd be tempted to change the tensioner bearing and maybe even put in a new crankshaft sensor while you've got easy access (both are relatively cheap to do and are known to give trouble, although usually at higher mileage). Check the crank pulley is in good condition too.

More
07 May 2018 13:25 - 07 May 2018 13:27 #192476 by Bosanek
Well I just used to "going over the top" with the maintenance of my Renault's K9K (1.5 dci) engine in my DDiS Jimny for the last 4 years just to maximize the chances of avoiding any catastrophe ... and I did avoid most of them.

Now it will take some tome to getting used to having a worry-free engine, but with half the braking power of the old one :)

Anyway, it turned out that both belts were quite cracked and that the power steering belt tensioner bearing was almost seized. I would have bought the bearing from Martin but I managed to find the original one locally and time is of the essence when the vehicle sits dead in mechanic's garage ...

I am surprised to find that the originally installed spark plugs are still in the vehicle at 55 000 miles. Should I replace them without hesitation now?
A local car parts store recommended Bosch FR6KI332S iridium spark plugs for my Jimny, which are half the price of NGK's IFR6J11 iridium spark plugs (which Suzuki originally recommends). These Bosch plugs cost me about 9 EUR per piece, while NGK's cost about 18 EUR per piece.

However, I've also been told that "japanese cars generally don't like german spark plugs".

Has anyone had experience with Bosch spark plugs in Jimnys? I've also found these Suzuki recommended NGK's spark plugs for just like 7 EUR per piece on Ebay ( here is an example ), but I am afraid this might be scam (fake copies).

Also, does anyone have some good experience with some "special" spark plugs, like some which claim to give better MPGs, or more power at lower RPMs or so?

The coolant will be drained. It was green, so I intend to pour some standard G11 green type in it. I am just not smart enough to conclude which of those fancy "OTA" I should use !?

What is the Suzuki part number of the crankshaft sensor?
Last edit: 07 May 2018 13:27 by Bosanek.

More
08 May 2018 20:57 #192528 by Busta
Yes probably not a bad idea to change the plugs. I have no experience with the Bosch plugs but I very much doubt they will cause any issues. I've never heard the 'German plugs in Japanese engines' thing before. It sounds like nonsense to me.

There is no magic spark plug that will give you any benefits. Whatever you fit, as long as they meet the manufacturers spec, you will get the same performance from them for the life of the plug.

More
08 May 2018 21:04 #192529 by Busta
The Suzuki part number for the crank position sensor is 33220-63J00

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds