BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

255/65 r15s any good?

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 08:16 #190721 by Minitruck36
255/65 r15s any good? was created by Minitruck36
Hi all

I recently picked up my first Jimny, actually my first off roader. It has come on what I'm told are vitara fatboy alloys, these have 255/65 15 Cooper cobra radial G/T tyres, I have only driven this one and one that had a 4"lift so can't really compare how it drives to one with standard wheels but it tramlines... Alot! The tyres have seen better days so i will be wanting to replace them shortly, the question is, what with? I intend on trying out some greenlaning but will be taking the Jimny on the road a lot too. Are the 255's too big and will the alloys which are around 8" wide be able to take a more normal sized tyre?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2018 08:33 #190724 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 255/65 r15s any good?
There is no need for tyres that wide on a Jimny, the choice of good off-road tyres is limited and you will find it is much better on and off-road on narrower tyres. You wouldn't want to fit anything much narrower on those rims though. I'd try to pick up a set of standard rims with some good AT or MT tyres.

More
22 Mar 2018 09:39 #190726 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic 255/65 r15s any good?
Jimnys tend to tramline a lot anyway. They are better at tramlining than trams are.

As buying tyres/wheels can get expensive I would see if anyone nearby can offer you a comparative drive of a Jimny so that you get a feel for what is normal first

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 12:46 #190731 by Minitruck36
Replied by Minitruck36 on topic Re:RE: 255/65 r15s any good?

Busta wrote: There is no need for tyres that wide on a Jimny, the choice of good off-road tyres is limited and you will find it is much better on and off-road on narrower tyres. You wouldn't want to fit anything much narrower on those rims though. I'd try to pick up a set of standard rims with some good AT or MT tyres.

Thankyou, What size do most tend to lean towards, I've seen 215/75/r15s been spoke about around the forum, Shame I would need new wheels as I do like the look of these, but do get where you are coming from.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 12:47 #190732 by Minitruck36

mlines wrote: Jimnys tend to tramline a lot anyway. They are better at tramlining than trams are.

As buying tyres/wheels can get expensive I would see if anyone nearby can offer you a comparative drive of a Jimny so that you get a feel for what is normal first

I did wonder if they did just assumed the huge tyres wouldn't help, well I definitely tyres. Just need to see what is the best option and whether I will need new wheels to match.

More
22 Mar 2018 13:14 #190733 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 255/65 r15s any good?
Yes 215/75r15 are a great option on a standard Jimny. They are as tall as you can go without rubbing issues, but not so big that they ruin the gearing. There's also plenty of choice from all the big tyre manufacturers.

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Mar 2018 16:31 #190739 by Minitruck36

Busta wrote: Yes 215/75r15 are a great option on a standard Jimny. They are as tall as you can go without rubbing issues, but not so big that they ruin the gearing. There's also plenty of choice from all the big tyre manufacturers.

Brill I'll look out for a set then. Would they be OK on the current alloys or will I need narrow wheels? And sorry for all the questions I'm new to this but what do mud tyres handle like for road driving?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Mar 2018 17:25 - 22 Mar 2018 17:27 #190742 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Re:RE: 255/65 r15s any good?
You need to measure the wheel width to be sure its 8" (I think some of the fatboy vits had 10" wide wheels).

The 215/75 are 8.5" wide, which would be more than a little tight on them if they are 8" and a no-go for 10". Would also look a bit odd on 8" as wouldnt have much if any sidewall bulge.

Finally if they are 8" or more then there either offset a fair bit or using spacers to make them fit. I have 15x8 modulars and they catch without spacers on the hub carrier.

have a play with this: tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ to see the difference in sizes.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 22 Mar 2018 17:27 by Riccy. Reason: forgot something

More
22 Mar 2018 20:11 #190757 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic 255/65 r15s any good?
Some of us like fat tyres.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2018 00:34 #190765 by Minitruck36
Replied by Minitruck36 on topic Re:RE: Re:RE: 255/65 r15s any good?

Riccy wrote: You need to measure the wheel width to be sure its 8" (I think some of the fatboy vits had 10" wide wheels).

The 215/75 are 8.5" wide, which would be more than a little tight on them if they are 8" and a no-go for 10". Would also look a bit odd on 8" as wouldnt have much if any sidewall bulge.

Finally if they are 8" or more then there either offset a fair bit or using spacers to make them fit. I have 15x8 modulars and they catch without spacers on the hub carrier.

have a play with this: tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/ to see the difference in sizes.

I have measured from the back of the wheel rim to the front face and its roughly 8" definitely no more, they are mounted with out spacers and have a large concave so I would guess that the offset is pretty. I'll have to try and find some more wheels then.

• Minitruck36
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Mar 2018 01:57 #190768 by Minitruck36

Jezz wrote: Some of us like fat tyres.

That looks amazing!

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds