BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP

• Sheppard4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2017 20:11 #187638 by Sheppard4x4
Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP was created by Sheppard4x4
Hi I’ve owned my little Jimny which is a 1999 1.3 for over 3 years never had a problem with it apart from Rust. About 4 weeks ago I was driving it and it started dying every time I revved up it would die and I managed to limp it home when I looked under the bonnet the earth lead to the cam shaft sensor (CMP) was not attached and also the battery had died. So I fitted a new battery connected the sensor and it ran so I could take my dogs for a walk which is about 5 minutes away on the way home same thing again and then I broke down and had to get towed.
So now it sits on my drive and all it does is turn over but every now and again it spits back and stop the starter motor and does not fire I do have fuel going to the engine, So far I have bridged the plug to find no fault code it just flashed (12) which is no fault, I have tried leaving the battery off for over a couple of days to clear the codes but still does not fire.

So I now have changed the lambda sensor in the exhaust still did not run.
So then I changed the Cam Sensor (CMP) still does not run.

I am now out of ideas and really don’t want to give up and scrap my Jimny because they are such fun little cars any help or ideas much welcomed.
Many Thanks
Sheppard4x4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2017 20:21 #187643 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP
And you have ignition on spark plugs aswell as fuel? Check if spark plug on coils has a spark

• Sheppard4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2017 10:59 #187660 by Sheppard4x4
Replied by Sheppard4x4 on topic Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP
I’ve checked this morning there is no spark at all and I have tried both keys to see if that could be the problem so now where should I have a look for the next fault so see why it is not sparking ?

More
20 Dec 2017 15:52 #187673 by paul2u
so many things it could be in my case of no sparking i had ignition but the engine would turn and not fire i was trying somthing out which needed the battery to be disconnected and when i went to take of the earth lead i found that it was ok on the battery but loose where its bolted to the body , it had enuff connection to turn the engine but upset the ecu comands once i got it back tight it started no problem

• Sheppard4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2017 16:29 #187675 by Sheppard4x4
Ive checked the battery earth cable and the earth to the engine and they are both dead tight and connected.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Dec 2017 19:11 #187683 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP
Check crankshaft sensor.

More
20 Dec 2017 21:44 #187694 by Rhinoman
Try checking for codes while cranking

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• Sheppard4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2018 09:50 #188000 by Sheppard4x4
Over Christmas I’ve checked all the fuses and they are all good under the driver’s side and we have tried cranking it over to get the code and it still just flashed 12
I fitted a new crank shaft sensor still the same
And still no spark so I think unless there is any other ideas ?
It is the ECM is faulty.

• CharlesS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 04:41 #188155 by CharlesS
Replied by CharlesS on topic Jimny Won't Start PLEASE HELP
There should be approximately 5VDC at the Crank Position Sensor when the ignition is turned to ON, but not running. You can back probe the wires to see if there is voltage.
IF there is not... then I would suggest you follow the CPS wiring harness back to a major harness connector to see if the connector pins are oxidized (dirty). The lack of voltage to the CPS will stop the engine from starting.

• Sheppard4x4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2018 12:54 #188163 by Sheppard4x4
THE JIMNY LIVES AGAIN

Hi everyone that helped thank you very much the jimny lives again and it was the black wire had snapped by the crank sensor plug so off for the mot now
Thanks
Sheppard 4X4

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds