BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

R72 to R7ME gearbox swap question

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
29 Jun 2017 17:58 #182388 by Riccy
Hi all,

Courtesy of Mr Priestly i have a nice R7ME gearbox, so...

Ive been at it with the spanners again to change over the gearbox to the earlier R7ME box, fit the rockobster box (finally!) and sort the clutch that gave up on the last offroad expedition...

managed to get it out pretty easily and set side by side there are major differences with the shifter arrangement and where the chassis crossmember/rear engine mount is. This means welding the old r72 bracket onto the new R7ME arrangement. My question is has anyone done it before on here and know exactly whats needed where? If you could downoad the pic, draw on it with paint or suchlike and post again it would be really helpful :-)

R72:

R7ME:

Thanks,

Riccy.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2017 18:07 #182389 by j999pre
From memory. Cut the flat part of the r72 bracket off and weld it on top of the flat bit of the r7me
The hard bit is getting it in the right place so the mount lines up with the cross member. I should have taken measurements.

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Jun 2017 18:17 #182391 by Riccy
B****Y HELL... now thats service!

Luckily i still have both together so i will have a good measure before i do any cutting and see whats-what :-)

Thanks for the tip!

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Jun 2017 18:26 #182392 by Riccy

cut out the red lined area above and weld ontop of the bit as red lined below...

Attachments:

More
29 Jun 2017 18:27 #182393 by j999pre
Yes that's it

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Jun 2017 18:36 #182394 by Riccy
B) cool, thanks thats simple enough for me and my horrible gasless mini-mig :-)

Will measure up properly and post pics for future reference for all.

• tonka toy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2017 12:54 #182395 by tonka toy
Replied by tonka toy on topic R72 to R7ME gearbox swap question
hi im new on the site iv got a s reg jimny its had 3 inch body lift 2 inch suspension lift all pro comp gear steering dampner snorkel winch safari roofrack led spotlights alloys with big insa turbo tyres with all the weight it hardly used to move so i decided on putting in the vitara engine so swapped my g13b for a vitara g16b iv also done the injectors but im having starter motor issues aparently the tooth pattern is diffrent so will the vitara starter fit will i have room for it ? also the clutch used to make a noise i put it down to the thrust bearing but changed the clutch and thrust bearing when i swapped the engine and the noise is coming from the gearbox so im looking for a gearbox if anyone has one ?or will the m13a gearbox fit the g16b engine my gearbox currently has clutch cable with fork on side of gearbox and finally im looking to sell soon but how do i put a value on it after iv done so much it is painted matt black shes pretty clean dipped carbon fibre style dash and vents on the front shes epic offroad and always embarasses the land rovers so basicly 3 problems/questions
gearbox ?
starter?
value?
id be grateful for any help thankyou

More
30 Jun 2017 12:58 #182396 by j999pre
I've a g13b gearbox for sale

The m13a box won't fit

For a starter you either need to use the Jimny starter but grind the square carrying mark off the engine block to get it for. Or use a Bosch vitara skinny starter motor

Grey pick up Jimny

• tonka toy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2017 12:59 #182398 by tonka toy
how much for the gearbox is it good and where are you

More
30 Jun 2017 13:01 #182399 by j999pre
Near Burnley. £100 or I can post if needed.

Grey pick up Jimny

• tonka toy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jun 2017 13:01 #182400 by tonka toy
and where can i get that bosch starter will any parts places be able to get it or just suzuki ? thankyou for your help

More
30 Jun 2017 13:23 #182402 by j999pre
Check eBay and Google the conversion for the Bosch number or how to grind the block

Grey pick up Jimny

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds