BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Broken Gearbox | Good excuse to fit an M16A?

• viciouspenguin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2017 09:19 - 10 Jan 2017 09:19 #176497 by viciouspenguin
Broken Gearbox | Good excuse to fit an M16A? was created by viciouspenguin
After fixing my deathwobble issues with a 0.2mm shim in the top kingpin on each side I took the Jimny out for a drive to 4x4withoutaclub.com and promptly broke it again.

I'm not entirely sure what has failed though.....

There is a postage-stamp sized hole in the box and an odd tubular part which has come loose and it bouncing off the centre propshaft. I am assuming the worst and expect to have to replace the gearbox. This leads me to another question..... M16A engine?
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 09:19 by viciouspenguin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wilku
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2017 10:02 #176500 by wilku
If you have the budget it's a good moment to go with M16A - you will have the car out of order for a while anyway...

• Awiz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2017 15:53 - 10 Jan 2017 15:55 #176514 by Awiz
It is not that big of a fix. Isn't that the exact same part that broke in a jimny I was driving? Take a look at this thread I've made.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=7&id=59574
As you can see yours wasn't the first one to break, neither will it probably be the last one :)
People were kind enough to tell me what's going on with that part, and told me how to fix it. You can just weld it back together.

Out of curiosity, what was the situation like in which yours broke?
Last edit: 10 Jan 2017 15:55 by Awiz.

• viciouspenguin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2017 18:23 #176521 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Broken Gearbox | Good excuse to fit an M16A?
Ahh thanks!

I was at a 4x4 site when it failed. I imagine it has been a long time stress fracture.

I'll see what I can do about welding it up. So as it is strong and doesn't fail again. I will replace the engine too I think.... Anyone have a non-vvt M16A?

More
10 Jan 2017 19:11 #176527 by Keithy
My remote stabiliser broke last year....welded and powdercoated.....2 hours work?

Supergaz has a none vvt engine for sale.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds