BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Jimny weird clutch problem

• SolidSnake89
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2016 14:23 - 22 Oct 2016 14:25 #173812 by SolidSnake89
Jimny weird clutch problem was created by SolidSnake89
Hi,

I have Suzuki jimny (2011) (1.3 m13a engine) with manual transmission.

Last month I had the clutch changed (after clutch failure due to damaged clutch bearing and clutch plate), my local mechanic had changed the clutch kit with some cheap one (about 60$ price), and had the clutch pedal adjusted, after that all was fine for about 3 weeks when all of the sudden I had problem changing gear, it was so hard to shift gears, and the pedal itself was hard to press down, I returned to the same local mechanic and he told me it is the clutch cable that is causing the problem and it needs to be replaced, which he did, the problem went away for 2 days only, after that a new problem appeared which is a bit weird.

The new problem:

When the car still cold (like in the morning going to work) all is fine, I can shift gears smoothly, no grinding , the clutch pedel works as expected, but after being on the road for about 30 minutes or so , especially going through traffic and such, that's when the problem arise, shifting gears become more and more difficult as the car covers more miles, and the clutch pedal itself becomes harder and harder to press down till you feel like it is pushing your feet (resistence increase), and if I use my car long enough I reach a stage where i can not even change gears anymore.

When I turn off my car for few hours , everything would be back to normal again !!

Note: My clutch is a mechanical not a hydrolic one.

Help is appreciated.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2016 14:25 by SolidSnake89.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2016 16:51 #173813 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
Hi,

I have a couple of ideas based on past experience:
Could it be a poorly fitting thrust bearing not wanting to slide when hot as the tolerances become too small due to heat expansion?

Badly adjusted clutch cable i.e. Too tight and with heat and it's associated expansion doesn't disengage fully?

Poor tolerances/ fitting on replacement clutch kit. Was it a full clutch kit ( friction disc, pressure plate and thrust bearing) or just the friction disc? Was the fly wheel also inspected for any damage?

I'm sure others will be along soon with more ideas
Good luck

• SolidSnake89
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2016 20:32 #173840 by SolidSnake89
Replied by SolidSnake89 on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
Thanks for your reply , much appreciate it.

I'm not sure if it was a full clutch kit , but I'm sure that the pressure plate, thrust bearing and the cable were all replaced, and the garage mechanic didn't mention any damage to flywheel.

Also are you suggesting that a poorly adjusted cable could lead to heat related problems, cause when the car is running cold I feel likely it is perfectly adjusted.

• SolidSnake89
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2016 20:35 #173841 by SolidSnake89
Also forgot to say that I have contacted the garage mechanic that did the repairs and he suggested that the pressure plate might need to replaced again since it was a cheap kit it might be faulty, does that make any sense or should just take it to another garage?

More
22 Oct 2016 21:05 - 22 Oct 2016 21:07 #173842 by jackonlyjack

SolidSnake89 wrote: Also forgot to say that I have contacted the garage mechanic that did the repairs and he suggested that the pressure plate might need to replaced again since it was a cheap kit it might be faulty, does that make any sense or should just take it to another garage?

should have a guarantee if it is faulty ask the mechanic
don't know where you are based can you not get an exedy clutch kit
here in the UK exedy is popular choice

Jack
Last edit: 22 Oct 2016 21:07 by jackonlyjack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SolidSnake89

• SolidSnake89
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2016 23:05 #173844 by SolidSnake89
I'm based in Iraq , sadly not a lot of options when it comes to jimny, few even have this car here, no official Suzuki dealers either :-(

I guess I will take it to another mechanic and see what he has to say about it, will keep you updated.

Many thanks

• MWells
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Oct 2016 03:51 #173845 by MWells
Replied by MWells on topic Jimny weird clutch problem

SolidSnake89 wrote: Also are you suggesting that a poorly adjusted cable could lead to heat related problems, cause when the car is running cold I feel likely it is perfectly adjusted.

Yes. I meant as in the cable works fine when cold but with the heat of the engine and gearbox causing a little expansion to every thing in the bell housing at different rates ( as the parts are made of different materials) the clutch cable doesn't quite disengage the clutch enough leading to the problems you described: clutch fine when cold, when warmed up difficulty changing gear, leading to not being able to change gear. I have seen a similar problem to this on a hydraulic clutch where the slave cylinder as it got warm and started to bind, new slave cylinder fitted and it worked great. If it only happens after 20-30 minutes of driving it must be heat related.

• Kekkeruusi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2018 18:56 #192483 by Kekkeruusi
Replied by Kekkeruusi on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
Hello.
I have same issue with my jimny, when engine is cold everything works fine but when it normal operation temperature shfiting is quite hard...do you have any tips for this ??

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 May 2018 04:01 - 08 May 2018 04:05 #192492 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
Yeah I had that. It was the wrong oil in the gearbox. It needs to be a 75w 90 gl4. There's plenty of how to guides available in the forum and the wiki section.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 08 May 2018 04:05 by Lambert. Reason: Being specific.

• Kekkeruusi
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 May 2018 06:15 #192495 by Kekkeruusi
Replied by Kekkeruusi on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
Is that only reason for hard shifting problems ?

More
08 May 2018 08:43 #192501 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Jimny weird clutch problem
When there is a differnce between warm and cold operation, yes.
Could otherwise be soft slutch cable brackets and/or bad clutch cable and/or you need to adjust the clutch cable.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds