BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

2007 VVT transfer box question

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 Sep 2016 07:48 #172169 by Riccy
Hi,

Been doing a bit of reading up on transfer boxes and I'm getting myself confused...

I have a 2007 VVT (manual gearbox), which has 215/75R15 tyres currently. I am looking to swap up to 235's and realise this will only make the gearing worse.

www.globalsuzuki.com/automobile/lineup/jimny/spec/

this spec sheet seems to indicate that the auto VVT jimnys have a different set of ratios in the transfer box, so i was wondering if that would be an answer. I would like to keep the push button electronic system in rather than go down the rocklobster route and end up with a second lever plus some useless buttons, so thats my reason for looking at this option.

so my question is; will it fit (and work)?, if so does anybody have one for sale?

Thanks,
Riccy

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• NIKOS OETA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Sep 2016 14:15 - 12 Sep 2016 14:16 #172221 by NIKOS OETA
Replied by NIKOS OETA on topic 2007 VVT transfer box question
I was made this swap in my VVT Jimny. It is a bolt-on swap, very easy! But the reduction is 27%, it is ok with 31" -32" tyres, for 30" and smaller tires this reduction is too much!
Mine with 31" has 100kph with 3800rpm.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2016 14:16 by NIKOS OETA.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Sep 2016 17:40 #172231 by Riccy
Hi Nikos,

Thanks for the info, it looks like we have the same basic car (and the same colour). How does yours handle with the 31" tyres? i wasnt really thinking of going that big, plus my lift is 2" suspension plus 2" body lift, so suspect the 31's might not fit! i also see you have trimmed the front bumper quite a bit? do you get any rubbing from the tyres?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• NIKOS OETA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Sep 2016 20:22 #172270 by NIKOS OETA
Replied by NIKOS OETA on topic 2007 VVT transfer box question

Riccy wrote: Hi Nikos,

Thanks for the info, it looks like we have the same basic car (and the same colour). How does yours handle with the 31" tyres? i wasnt really thinking of going that big, plus my lift is 2" suspension plus 2" body lift, so suspect the 31's might not fit! i also see you have trimmed the front bumper quite a bit? do you get any rubbing from the tyres?

With 31s the car is amazing much more traction, and tire damping... the tires became a part of suspension! And with this gearing the power is enough!
But the rubbing.... big issue!! It depends on the offset of the wheels and if you wear the sway bar or not.
With the best scenario with the swaybar on and a liitle offset, maybe you need only to trim a little the arches. With the worst, with no sway bar and a lot of offset, you need to trim a lot the arches, maybe a extra lift, lowering the bump stops, and maybe need to move a the front axle a bit to the front.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds