BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Power Steering Leak

• slippy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2016 14:39 #167513 by slippy
Replied by slippy on topic Power Steering Leak
Additionally, the old union looked like it had been overtightened and the bottom of the thread stripped which was why I had difficulty in removing it.
I had to break off the horizontal section of the pipe - easy enough - and then I got a 17mm socket on it but it was still difficult to remove.

Anyway, all done and working as it should with no leaks.

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2016 16:02 #167515 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Power Steering Leak
Well done good result ;)

More
28 May 2016 15:42 - 28 May 2016 15:42 #167632 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Power Steering Leak
Good effort mate.

I think these jobs are made harder by the steering box etc being put in the car in the factory before the engine. They therefore leave the nut tightened at an angle where getting the spanner on it means the spanner hits something that wasn't there when it was fitted - like the alternator or something!

I had to do this on a Land Rover 90 and managed to get the open end of a spanner on the nut but not in a position where I could push it due to other gubbins in the way. I put a cable tie on the ring end of the spanner and was then able to pull the spanner round with quite a lot of force as cable ties are strong old things!

In theory it's such a simple job but then in practice these things are sent to try us!

Glad you got yours fixed with some good old ingenuity!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 28 May 2016 15:42 by kirkynut.

• barabas
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2016 16:46 #167639 by barabas
Replied by barabas on topic Power Steering Leak
I've always thought that whatever it is you're working on was the first thing to go on the assembly line and the rest of the car was built around it!

I think it was an Astra where the bumper and a wheel had to come off to change the screenwash motor that was the most annoying, so far...

• The Dug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 May 2016 11:50 - 30 May 2016 11:52 #167712 by The Dug
Replied by The Dug on topic Power Steering Leak

That's a coincidence, came on to ask about the exact same problem.

I don't really use the jimny much now - my dad takes it when he's walking my dog but even that's not too often now.

I'm a bit embarrassed at how good the OP's looks compared to mine :blush:

I'll give the crowfoot sockets a go bit I'm worried that the nuts with just crumble.............
Attachments:
Last edit: 30 May 2016 11:52 by The Dug. Reason: Forgot to insert photos

• slippy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 07:58 #167747 by slippy
To The Dug,
here is the receipt from the supplier with the dimensions of the union they made just in case you need it for a new part.
Once I had the new part it was quite a straight forward job.
I took a chance and also removed the high pressure pipe as well and did not need to bleed the system, but I don't think that is recommended.

Attachments:

• The Dug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2016 18:31 #167783 by The Dug
Hi Dave, thanks very much for that mate. Will make my life easier for sure, might just call these guys and see if they'll post it up to me.

• The Dug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2016 10:49 #168014 by The Dug
Ok, I contacted the guys above and it's no problem for them to make for me but they would like the original or a photo as a template. Obviously I can't provide one because of the likely hood of mine crumbling the second I put a spanner anywhere near it but does anyone have a picture or maybe a page for the workshop manual?

Cheers folks

• slippy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 09:47 #168070 by slippy
Fortunately I didn't bin the original part so here are two pics which might help you.

Dave.

Attachments:

• slippy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 09:52 #168071 by slippy
If you want I can drop this into Anglia Hose & Hydraulics for them to make it from?

Dave

• The Dug
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jun 2016 14:14 #168084 by The Dug

slippy wrote: If you want I can drop this into Anglia Hose & Hydraulics for them to make it from?

Dave

Thanks very much Dave, really appreciate that. I'll send the pictures to them and hopefully that will be enough, I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks you again mate,
Scott

• Benn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2017 14:01 #186890 by Benn
Replied by Benn on topic Power Steering Leak
Sorry to drag up an old post, but I now have the same problem and have found out that the replacement hoses from Suzuki are £340... so I am looking at alternatives.
The Dug, did you manage to get a new part made by Anglia? Or does anyone else know where I can source a replacement?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds