BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

P0741 trouble code

• Jokerax
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2015 13:22 - 23 Nov 2015 16:54 #157024 by Jokerax
P0741 trouble code was created by Jokerax
Hey guys,
Good day.

I have a problem with my M13A not VVT jimny year 2005.
A P0741 TCC circuit preformance or stuck off.

I've did everything according to the maintanance manuals and nothing helped.
Stall test was made, parameters according to the manuals.
TCC solenoid was replaced.
Wiring & resistance checked .
Oil level checked (and replaced twice, also the filter)
Valve body were completely opened and checked, then cleaned, gaskets upper & lower valve body were replaced.
All fail valves were checked, seems to be moving freely.
small filters in the valve body were cleaned.

have no idea what to do next, one mechanics was offering to send the torque convertor for repair but i don't see any reason why to, the stall test shows that the torque convertor is good, the car behaves normal, no slip, no knocks, nothing. Another offered to repair the valve body, i've opened it myself when was replacing gaskets, seals etc., didn't see anything unusual there, everything looks fine according to the manuals.
took an advanced OBD2 system from a friend who owns a garage and checked the TCC valve behaviour, shows 100% opening when reaching speed of 80km/h while cruising

was erasing the code with my OBD2 but everytime i reach about 80km/h cruising it comes back again with same trouble code.

Have anyone had such a problem? any ideas for a solution?

Thank you for your assistance.
Max
Last edit: 23 Nov 2015 16:54 by Jokerax.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jokerax
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2015 05:47 #157096 by Jokerax
Replied by Jokerax on topic P0741 trouble code
Anyone?

More
24 Nov 2015 17:58 #157123 by facade
Replied by facade on topic P0741 trouble code
Is the converter locking fully?

As you say the manual suggests substituting the torque converter.

I don't know what triggers the code, seems a bit vague, as if it is line pressure triggered, I' know they monitor turbine speeds, so they could be detecting a failure to lock, which would indicate a failure within the TC.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Jokerax
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2015 19:15 #157190 by Jokerax
The converter doesn't lock fully because the rpm is heigher than it was originally (about 250rpm more), so there is a slip for some reason.
the OBD2 shows full 100% movment of TCC solenoid valve but convertor is not achiving 100% lock meaning 1 to 1 ratio between A/T and motor which should be accured while cruising on 4th gear above 80km/h.

the only way shown in the workshop manuals to check the torque conveter is doing a STALL TEST which showed a perfect resault according to the manuals on D & R (please see attached picture).

when i was going thru the manuals i've found that the transmission liquid pump is located behind the torque, i think maybe it has a problem.
Attachments:

More
25 Nov 2015 19:46 #157193 by facade
Replied by facade on topic P0741 trouble code
There are 2 clutches in the torque converter, the one way clutch on the stator (which is a simple over-run clutch that provides torque multiplication by preventing the stator rotating so that the stator directs the fluid back to the impeller), and the lock-up clutch (which is a friction plate that is pressed against the inside of the converter housing by hydraulic pressure when required to increase efficiency by locking the impeller to the turbine = zero slip).

A stall test cannot check the lockup clutch, only the oneway clutch.

I suspect that you need a new torque converter, as you have already checked the controlling valves, and presumably transmission pressures too.

I can't see the oil pump being the problem, or you would have no drive at all.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Jokerax
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2015 20:13 #157196 by Jokerax
Thank you for the assistance, i'll try and send the torque converter for a repair shop, see if it solves it.

• jbrown79
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jun 2018 21:46 #193406 by jbrown79
Replied by jbrown79 on topic P0741 trouble code
Did it solve the issue ?

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds