BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Anyone fitted a rear window?

More
29 Jun 2015 08:36 #146836 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Anyone fitted a rear window?
Don't put it through insurance and for god's sake don't use Autoglass! You can do it yourself for less than the insurance excess, or a local garage will fit a used screen for you in 20 mins.
In my experience, Autoglass charge 3-4 times more than local windscreen companies will do it for. If you ring around and tell them it's not going through your insurance, often you can get a new screen fitted for not much more than the excess would be. I've never had glass cover and I've never paid more than £130 for a windscreen fitted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2015 10:04 #146839 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Anyone fitted a rear window?

Busta wrote: I've never had glass cover and I've never paid more than £130 for a windscreen fitted.

You're lucky then, I've fitted screens where the cost price of the glass to the company has been 10x that. Unfortunately I'm an ex-fitter and due my insurance company not adding glass cover when I asked for it had pay cash for my 307 and that cost £300 to have done.

More
29 Jun 2015 12:24 #146844 by Busta

OllieNZ wrote:

Busta wrote: I've never had glass cover and I've never paid more than £130 for a windscreen fitted.

You're lucky then, I've fitted screens where the cost price of the glass to the company has been 10x that. Unfortunately I'm an ex-fitter and due my insurance company not adding glass cover when I asked for it had pay cash for my 307 and that cost £300 to have done.

I imagine that £1300 screen was on something fairly exotic?

• OllieNZ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jun 2015 13:04 #146846 by OllieNZ
Replied by OllieNZ on topic Re:Anyone fitted a rear window?
Not particularly, just an E class Mercedes with all toys. Most of the newer typical german vehicles were in the 300-700 pound mark and alot of the French cars weren't far behind. Fords and vauxhalls weren't to bad until you got to the ones with loads of toys.

More
29 Jun 2015 13:14 #146847 by Johnniehec
Change the whole back door, get one from a breaker or Fleabay.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
29 Jun 2015 14:13 #146848 by j999pre
I have a back window £30

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS

More
29 Jun 2015 22:26 #146896 by supergaz
I have popped mine out before just because it was a hot day :) Its a simple 5 minute job with a bit of string, and I would't think twice about pulling the glass out again if I wanted the extra air flow. Best to get the glass second hand and give it a go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnyjack1993

More
30 Jun 2015 18:35 #146951 by helijohn

Jimnyjack1993 wrote: it took me 6 bookings over 5 weeks before autoglass came out.

Did you watch Watchdog........Autoglass were on it and they are the pits. I know insurance companies are sometimes tied to companies like them but what about National Windscreens?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds