BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

hd shafts 26 splines strange noise help

More
16 Sep 2014 06:39 #124248 by safari
i have just fitted the hd shafts both sides ready to go but while still on the jack i turned the wheel and heard a strange rattling noise comming from the diff as if the crown wheel is hitting . the spider geares have been changed by a profational even the cost was profetional :blink: but , he said that he had to do many shims so the 26 splines could fit which was not a simple change. for me something is wrong can u help pls
tks

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Sep 2014 17:24 #124290 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic hd shafts 26 splines strange noise help
Who made the HD shafts and joints?

Rob Storr?

More
17 Sep 2014 13:45 - 17 Sep 2014 13:46 #124371 by safari

TomDK wrote: Who made the HD shafts and joints?

Rob Storr?

yep, the noise is coming from the diff

Last edit: 17 Sep 2014 13:46 by safari.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2014 14:08 #124372 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic hd shafts 26 splines strange noise help
The diff isn't exactly rocket science. So why not give a try yourself?

• Bits4Vits
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2014 14:59 #124373 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic hd shafts 26 splines strange noise help
I'd be inclined to take the shafts out and then rotate the diff flange (where the prop connects) and see if you have any noise then with the shafts out of the way...

You can then eliminate the fitting of the shafts as causing the noise (by pushing against the 26 spline gears that were fitted and shimmed a lot, perhaps? - I had this with a Vitara when I fitted a wrong halfshaft in a front axle casing)

The crown wheel is close to the axle casing, but by having it rebuilt it should not have moved anywhere as it needs to mesh nicely against the pinnion.

If you still get the noise with the shafts out of the equation, then it's time to whip the diff back out of the axle and have a look...?

Did you rotate the diff and have a feel of it after it was rebuilt? That's the first thing I've done after getting diffs rebuilt, have a waggle and check it feels right...

More
19 Sep 2014 15:31 #124526 by safari
took the dif off and there is the trouble the spiders r not matching any more so dented the teeth ,now bought new spider gears and when taken to the angeneer they were also not matching i am no expert on difs but is it possible here r finding all this problem to fit these 26 splines to the front is normal cause i am getting pissed off :angry:

More
20 Sep 2014 05:58 #124566 by safari
finally think we found what was wrong there r 2 types of spider gears 26 splines both fit but the smaller one u have to shim it a lot to try to fit it with the other 2. now fitted the 2 bigger and every thing seems to work fine hopefully :silly:

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds