BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up

• BensJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jan 2014 20:43 #99554 by BensJimny
Replied by BensJimny on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
i was always unsure on putting lubricants on rubber belts, i've found a dry bar of soap smeared on the inside of the belt aids movement and to my knowledge doesn't damage the rubber and removes squeaks! give it a try?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimnyKarl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jan 2014 22:57 #100751 by JimnyKarl
Replied by JimnyKarl on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
I have the same problem squeal like mad changed both belt still dose it no matter how tight i get the Alternator belt if i slacken the Alternator belt off it stops squealing but then does not charge the battery. i think its the Alternator pulley that is the cause, yes i have tried and exhausted all options so have now ordered a new Alternator. will let you know if that works.

• ands
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2014 02:09 - 28 May 2014 02:10 #116492 by ands
my jimny also squeaks. already had the alternator and alternator belt adjusted/tightened but still squeaks once in a while. will try to clean the belt and the pulley with soap and water first.

by the way, is it easy to DIY replace the belts?
Last edit: 28 May 2014 02:10 by ands.

• jonesyba420
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2014 07:06 #116501 by jonesyba420
Replied by jonesyba420 on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
Alternator belt is easy power steering belt is abit more difficult.

More
28 May 2014 16:49 #116528 by maverick
This might help, from Big Jimny "How To" Section, which i always struggle to find :-

www.bigjimny.com/images/documents/changi...er_steering_belt.pdf

Jalapeño, IISY?

• rexthecat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 May 2014 18:50 #116543 by rexthecat
Replied by rexthecat on topic Fan belt/ Alternator belt squeal on start up
Draw from the battery putting more on the alternator? Once the battery back to charge squeal goes.

• Merz
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jun 2018 07:05 #193219 by Merz
I know this is an old post, but I have been having endless trouble with my Suzuki Jimny 1.3 '07 model. The fan belt keeps coming off. Sometimes, there is a squeal first other times there is no noise at all and it simply comes off. This is proper disaster as I live in a very dangerous country...so sitting on the side of the road and waiting for tow trucks is nerve wracking!

My mechanic has been repairing my vehicles for the last 30 years. He hasn't struggled like this before.

We checked:
pulley alignments
we lathed the pulleys to remove pockmarks
changed the pulley
checked the gearbox and engine mountings
had the alternator serviced by 4 different auto electricians
installed a suzuki original belt

In the end, we were left with 2 options. Either replace the alternator or...the battery is a problem. We decided to focus on the battery. I took my battery to a battery center and there was no issue with the battery. The car spec is for a 45 amp/h battery but...there was a 35amp/h battery fitted. I called a number of battery centers and none of them had a 45amp/h battery with the small battery terminals. ALL of them recommended I just take the 35 amp/h battery which has the small terminals. Some of them insisted you don't get 45amp/h batteries with the small terminals. After some searching, I found a battery distributor that sells 45amp/h batteries. Since the change to a the bigger battery I have had no issues.

More
05 Jun 2018 07:09 - 05 Jun 2018 07:11 #193220 by mlines
Just a note. A number of batteries have what I call "peelable" terminals. The terminals are fat but the outer layer of them can be lifted or peeled off to make a small terminal

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 07:11 by mlines.

More
05 Jun 2018 09:46 #193222 by X8GGY
Mine squeals for the first minute or so too...

The alternator struggles at first to charge the two batteries, but settles down after a minute or two... :)

More
05 Jun 2018 09:56 #193226 by maverick
I don’t understand why the fan belt would come off due to a battery problem??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
05 Jun 2018 10:00 #193228 by X8GGY

More
05 Jun 2018 21:26 - 05 Jun 2018 21:36 #193235 by Max Headroom
Hi Merz

This may not be relevant to your situation, but my neighbours Jimny had a problem, not with the belt coming off, but with it squealing badly on start up.

The belt was changed and adjusted on several occasions but continued to have the problem. We had tried dusting the fan belt with French-chalk dust to absorb any spilt oil etc, but the remedy was only a brief cure before it started squealing again.
The alternator was checked by a very good local garage, and found to be perfectly serviceable, however...

...One day, on a cold morning, I started it, and had the need to put the heater fan on, and the wipers, along with the lights, (and it also happened that the radio was on as well).
The more 'services' that were demanded from the car, the more it made the fan-belt shriek like a banshee!

The final fix was (in spite of its apparent serviceability) to replace the alternator.

The symptom was as if the more load that the alternator was subjected to, a physical resistance to the alternator actually turning seemed to build up, to a point that it was trying to stop, thus causing the belt to slip.

This was a phenomenon that neither I had seen, or the engineers at the garage had seen before.
(The initial brief squeal on engine start-up was probably due to the load being taken at the starter motor)

This sounds slightly similar to your problem. If the alternator has not been changed, it might be the only thing left to try

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 05 Jun 2018 21:36 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds