BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Stopping the flashing 4WD light with pictures

More
19 Apr 2015 19:20 #142779 by helijohn

Rhinoman wrote: I just got back from Tong, 4wd worked perfectly and no flashing light.

Result. ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimnyUser
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2016 08:41 #170598 by JimnyUser
Replied by JimnyUser on topic Stopping the flashing 4WD light with pictures
what did you use for your 'decent blanking plug'??

More
27 Jul 2016 13:30 #170605 by helijohn

JimnyUser wrote: what did you use for your 'decent blanking plug'??

In my case initially a bit of tubing (which may have been the original vacuum piping?) with a bolt in the end which worked perfectly well then I ordered some silicone blanks off eBay..

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimnyUser

• JimnyUser
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2016 20:26 - 27 Jul 2016 20:27 #170620 by JimnyUser
Replied by JimnyUser on topic Stopping the flashing 4WD light with pictures
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks I have done the same and ordered some of these from China

Took some pics along the way, I can confirm it works great by shorting the vacuum switch connector.

The temporary blanked off manifold takeoff...

The shorted vacuum switch connector using a bullet connector...

The connector back in situ wrapped in insulation tape and the solenoids are still in position...

All the vaccum pipes have been removed making for a much neater and accessible front axle, ie; less rust :laugh: th eonly pipe remaining is this one that goes into the front wing, where does that go :unsure: I wonder...

Last edit: 27 Jul 2016 20:27 by JimnyUser.

• Hank
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2020 15:30 #227042 by Hank
Hey guys, thought I'd add my experience here since I went through the process yesterday. Wouldn't have been able to do it without this thread! I installed some old samurai manual hubs, blocked off the vacuum lines at the wheels and at the system in the engine bay as per the Wiki, but still no joy, only a flashing 4wd light. I found this thread and was at first a little confused to which connector needed to be shorted, so I put pictures of my process here in case anyone was in the same boat as me

This is very important, if you have a 2005+ VVT jimny like mine with the button operated system you have to trick the 4wd controller. If you don't, even with the vacuum lines blocked off the light will flash and the transfer case will not activate because the system will think there's a problem. Either that or my vacuum system in the engine bay has a leak somewhere :whistle:

The Hubs:

Step 1: Locate the switch cable to short out. Look under the fuse box next to the battery, directly under it there is a white connector. Below are some pictures of it from different angles. I disconnected it from the plug to make it easier to see on picture but you can see the connector right next to it as well. Really you only need the connector that goes to the main harness.

With that unplugged I just cut off the connector, stripped the wires, twisted them together, heatshrinked it and put on a load of white tape so I can easily find it if I ever need to go back at it.

Also, here's a glimpse at blocking off the vacuum lines:

If I can find some blanking plugs I'll blank off the manifold properly but for now I just have it running to the valve and it works fine :)

• yira
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2021 04:13 #235950 by yira
I have shorted the connector to the vacuum metering valve yet the light still flashes. Has anyone encountered this issue?

• yira
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2021 19:48 - 23 Jun 2021 06:11 #236000 by yira
For reference I shorted the cables going to this vacuum switch, number 4 in the diagram. 4WD engages successfully but the light still flashes 
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jun 2021 06:11 by yira.

• yira
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2021 06:58 #236065 by yira

Sergiu post=232046
...The next issue I had was related to the vacuum system and the 4WD controller, probably because I have a type 9 Jimny the 4WD controller was updated and expects input from the vacuum switch for both locking (closed circuit) and unlocking (open circuit), so shorting the switch would not work. Interestingly even so the transfer case would shift perfectly through all the position, but it messes up the light on the dashboard so you are stuck with memorising the transfer case position, not very good. Plugged the pipes going to the hubs and everything was back to normal...

Found some helpful info in the "My Jimny" section, thanks Sergiu!
Shorting the switch did not work on a Type 9 so my South American spec Type 7 could be similar. I'll give blocking the pipes a try and hope my vacuum system doesn't have other leaks. Worst case I'll have working 4WD with a slightly annoying flashing light.

More
05 Apr 2022 17:02 - 05 Apr 2022 17:04 #242748 by felipebaldasso
Did you solve it? This thing is driving me crazy!

I'll sum my history:

Bought a Jimny 2009, the 4WD and 4WD-L was working as well - the 4L light was blinking (while using it) and I could change from 4WD-L to 4WD, but the 4L light keeps blinking (until I turn 4WD off).

Then, after reading this post, I did that short-circuit and it worked ALMOST 100%... Now I do can change from 4x2 to 4WD and 4WD-L, and I can change from 4WD-L to 4WD and 4x2... But as soon as I put on 4x2 again, the both lights start blinking no matter what.

Do you guys have any thoughts?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2022 17:04 by felipebaldasso.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Apr 2022 17:13 #242749 by Lambert
Have you checked the condition of the wires at the transfer case end? It's also possible that the switch on the transfer case could be bad also.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Apr 2022 17:14 #242750 by Lambert
Oh and be careful taking the switch out as there's a small ball bearing behind it that tries to disappear.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Apr 2022 20:02 #242764 by felipebaldasso
I just replaced both switches - and tested (continuity) before replacing! But everything is working fine on the T-case. I just found that it is a problem for type 7-9 jimnys...

Here's why "The next issue I had was related to the vacuum system and the 4WD controller, probably because I have a type 9 Jimny the 4WD controller was updated and expects input from the vacuum switch for both locking (closed circuit) and unlocking (open circuit), so shorting the switch would not work."

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds