BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

gears hard to engage - need help

• topjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 01:26 #81658 by topjimny
gears hard to engage - need help was created by topjimny
Hi guys,

I have a bad leaking on my gearbox and for what i've been investigating, replacing the seal will not suffice due to a factory fault in the prop shaft. No time to dismantle it yet, but have checked gearbox oil level and filled cause was below level.

But the problem i'm concerned is beyond that and maybe not related, but my gear stick gets hard to shift down sometimes. It is always when going from 5th to 4th (sometimes from 3rd to 2nd). It does not scratch or anything, but is like my 4th gear is "rubberized" or "plati diped" from the inside. Can't explain. Really annoying. All other gears engage as smooth as they should. Need help...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• topjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 01:44 #81660 by topjimny
Replied by topjimny on topic gears hard to engage - need help
Forgot to mention. Jimny is a manual VVT with 85k on the clock. Clutch is only a few months old (changed everything including the cable).

• safarimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 05:39 #81664 by safarimny
Replied by safarimny on topic gears hard to engage - need help
Hi topjimny,

I had a similar problem on mine after clutch change the gear lever felt loose and would drop into the free rest position even when in gear. Changing gears and especially downshifting had become very difficult.

This is what I found:

The gear selector mechanism is independent of the gearbox and connected by a linkage. Between the selector and gear lever is a ball and socket joint and loads of grease. There is a small black bush that sits between the ball and socket. When the gear lever is removed to drop the gearbox sometimes this black bush dislodges from the socket and falls into the selector casing. If you are not careful putting the gear lever back like me it then gives you the loose gear lever and difficult changing feel.

It's an easy fix, lift off the gear lever gaiter and undo the 3 bolts holding the lever down. Put on a latex glove and try to feel the inside of the housing for the bush. Return it to the socket the right way up and return the gear lever and gaiter.

Hope this helps and you don't have anything more serious wrong.

• topjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 13:30 - 31 Aug 2013 13:34 #81689 by topjimny
Thanks for the reply. It's somewhat relieving when somebody else had experienced some issues.

Is it possible to reach it from inside the car or just have to take the gearbox out?

partsouq.com/en/catalog/suzuki/part?cata...de=SN413522&group=72

farm4.staticflickr.com/3692/9634334943_eb4d804ff1_o.png
Last edit: 31 Aug 2013 13:34 by topjimny. Reason: attach image

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Aug 2013 14:14 #81692 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic gears hard to engage - need help
Have you tryed adjusting the clutch cable

• safarimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Sep 2013 16:45 #81813 by safarimny
Replied by safarimny on topic gears hard to engage - need help
You can simply reach it from inside the car by lifting off the gear lever gaiter.

• topjimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2013 00:05 #81854 by topjimny
cheers for that.

Another beautiful weekend around here, no time to stop the car yet.

• Leese
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2018 17:37 #196597 by Leese
Replied by Leese on topic gears hard to engage - need help
Hi, I have a jimny 2007 however the gears are not working, when some does it falls out of gear. We removed the lever and I see a plastic thing about half inch high (see pic) it is broken. However I am being told that something is missing. I am new to Jimmy so can someone tell me if there is actually something else that should be in there and if so what is it called so I can shop around.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds