BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Thermostat hiding place

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 18:29 #48156 by Nelson83
Thermostat hiding place was created by Nelson83
Can anybody point me in the hiding place of the thermostat on a 52 plate? I think mines given up the ghost as ive overheated twice lately. Ive reversed flushed the rad, and it seems ok at the moment, but am going to replace the rad cap and the thermostat as a priority job. A diagram or picture of the location would be great!! :-)

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 18:54 #48157 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic Thermostat hiding place
Follow your bottom radiator pipe to the engine and it should be in there. You might have to take the alternator off to get to it.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 19:19 #48161 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic Thermostat hiding place
what engine is it is it a single cam with a cam belt or twin cam with a timing chain if it a single follow the top hose to the engine and undo the to 12mm bolts and its in there as for the twin cam i dont no hope this helps

• Keefe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 19:24 #48162 by Keefe
Replied by Keefe on topic Thermostat hiding place
If it's the M13a engine, it's to the front right of the engine, I believe.
Reading the workshop manual, you have to remove the inlet manifold to get at it.

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Sep 2012 19:28 #48164 by markyp2000
^^^^^^^
thats the twin cam just thought id add that just incase any one else reads this and he dont no the differents

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 09:06 #48344 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Thermostat hiding place
Ive got the M13A engine - i had to wiat untila day evening and then assembled my kit and headed out. After an hour and half, i gave up and went to my local garage and booked it in. The only way i could see to get it out, was to remove the throttle and carb assembly and the mainfold :-@ something i didnt want to do of an evening

Luckily for the garage had it in the next day and i thought it would be a quick job (so did the garage). I gave them the replacement thermostat, and left them to it. I had a call later to say that theyd got the stat out, and the new one was wrong! So they called for a replacement, which turned out to be wrong, and the next one was wrong, and the next!!!! So 4 stats later theyre still waiting for a replacement stat!!

I just wonder whoever decided to put the stat there.................. why??!!! :evil:

• Skinhead
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Sep 2012 09:11 #48345 by Skinhead
Replied by Skinhead on topic Thermostat hiding place
I also got 3 stats wronge, the guy in the garage ended up ordering 1 using the chassis number an not the reg, car must be a ringa :laugh:

More
19 Sep 2012 10:14 #48350 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Thermostat hiding place

Skinhead wrote: I also got 3 stats wronge, the guy in the garage ended up ordering 1 using the chassis number an not the reg, car must be a ringa :laugh:

I wouldn't worry, my Zuki dealer couldn't get the diff filler plug right from the reg or the chassis number and I was looking at the exploded diagram with him and they are all the same!

So ordering up a Thermostat would prob be even harder for them to get right if Suzuki's own diagrams are wrong!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• andybawdc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 20:17 #48560 by andybawdc
Replied by andybawdc on topic Thermostat hiding place
you do not need to take anything off!!!!
just follow the top rad hose and at the end is the stat housing, un do the two studs and there she be!!
do not need a gaskit as it is an O-ring seal. i bought the corect stat from my local motorfactors. :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Sep 2012 20:39 #48565 by markyp2000

andybawdc wrote: you do not need to take anything off!!!!
just follow the top rad hose and at the end is the stat housing, un do the two studs and there she be!!
do not need a gaskit as it is an O-ring seal. i bought the corect stat from my local motorfactors. :)

but what engine are you talking about and have you read all the other posts that have been put up?

• Nelson83
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2012 14:00 #48974 by Nelson83
Replied by Nelson83 on topic Thermostat hiding place
well the garage replaced it, and its run fine for the last week or so, until i was coming home today and it boiled again - i've driven the same route every day this week and have been watching the gauge constantly - it hasnt moved from just below half way, and ive noticed the temperature inside when the heaters on returned to normal level and would blow cold when switched the other way.

before i take it back and ask for them to look at it again, anybody got any suggestions? The cab didnt get hot like before, nor was there a smell of anti freeze, just a loud bang as the cap blew off the overflow bottle and then steam everywhere. The rad caps fine as the garage replaced at the same time as the thermostat

Im a little confused as it gave no signs and has been fine up until now

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Sep 2012 15:05 #48976 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Thermostat hiding place
Could it just of been an air lock and they didn't bleed the system properly. Sounds likely if the heater didn't work...

otherwise what state is your rad in?
Mine was full of mud and badly damaged (think someone must have jet washed it and they are very flimsy) and I struggled to keep the temp down until I changed it. Think the cooling on the Jim is rather marginal.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds