BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Unleaded 95 E10

More
10 Jul 2012 15:06 #43870 by Obarno
Unleaded 95 E10 was created by Obarno
I'm finding here in France that a lot of the garages are now selling sp95-E10, instead of ordinary 95 unleaded. I've read several very different views as to whether its good to use in our cars and whether it damages the fuel system or not. It seems that the methanol is hygroscopic and therefore the water it attracts corrodes the system, but also the methanol is corrosive and attacks the system as well. Not only that but it seems you get worse fuel consumption as well! So not a good buy, but often the alternative is the more expensive 98 octane.
Has anyone any experiences either good or bad?

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 15:14 #43871 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
From what i understand it corrodes metal fuel tanks and lines... so newer cars shouldn't have a problem.

Is the Jimny fuel tank/line metal? i can't remember :lol:

More
10 Jul 2012 15:23 #43873 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
The tank is plastic, but I think the lines are metal, I imagine too the injectors, fuel rail and pressure regulator are all metal.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 15:59 #43876 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
My cars run just fine on 98, so I have no need to even try that e10 piss... And the price difference is so minimal, that there's no reason to use anything else than good ol 98! B)

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 17:15 #43885 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
i use this one in France: sp95-E10, because less expensive, and no problem with jimny since the year 2000

More
10 Jul 2012 17:22 #43888 by Obarno
Good to hear Renard - thank you. Do you think it effects the fuel economy, or do you not really notice any difference?

• Northern-Wanderer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2012 23:15 #43928 by Northern-Wanderer
Replied by Northern-Wanderer on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
Suzuki say not to use fuel with more than 5%methanol under any circumstances or fuel system damage will occur, and this fuel must contain corrosion inhibitors and cosolvents(whatever they are), but Ethanol upto 10% is ok.Is this the 95 e 10 thats available in France

More
11 Jul 2012 07:09 #43933 by Obarno
I think I meant ethanol and not methanol hence the E part of the E10, however there seem very conflicting views as to whether it's damaging to the engine or not. It's the E10 - ethanol additive that is available in France. There is however still ordinary 98 octane available. Good to hear that Suzuki say the 10% ethanol mix won't harm the engines. Also good to hear that Renard uses it without problem.

• bunji81
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 07:37 - 11 Jul 2012 07:38 #43935 by bunji81
Replied by bunji81 on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
Prevention is better than cure IMO. Id use the 98 good stuff, fair enough its a little more expensive, but ultimately it'd work out a lot cheaper than having to eventually replace fuel lines, fuel rails, injectors etc.. :)
Last edit: 11 Jul 2012 07:38 by bunji81.

• Laminak
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2012 08:32 #43941 by Laminak
Replied by Laminak on topic Re: Unleaded 95 E10
I use too the SP95 E10 and I have no problem B)
And my consumption is the same as SP95 ;)

• Jenny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2018 09:36 #195484 by Jenny
Replied by Jenny on topic Unleaded 95 E10
I just searched this forum to try to get a clarification of the E10 question after seeing an item on this mornings BBC news about it,
I am conflicted myself. I searched the net for E10 compatibility and found an Australian web site that had a spreadsheet showing compatibility of various makes and models. Here is a link: www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-my-vehic...ethanol-blend-petrol
Basically ALL pre 2008 Jimnys with a SOHC engine are not compatible with either 5% or 10% ethanol fuels. Post 2008 they are as long as the RON (octane) requirement for the vehicle is met.
I own a 2008 model myself.
Personally I will stick to the premium grades of pure petrol because of the additives, higher octane rating and for the sake of fuel economy.
E10 economy is roughly 8 -12% less than straight petrol. In a car that already gets rather poor mileage it means more trips to the pump.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds