BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Rear wheel bearing retainer

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 17:48 #29993 by Bigchridy
Rear wheel bearing retainer was created by Bigchridy
Does anyone have the dimensions of the rear wheel bearing retainer?

The Jimny is showing its age now and the O/S/R wheel bearing is knacked!:(

I've decided I'm going to replace both but need to sort out some retainers as I've read the "how to" guide and will need to grind them off!

Thanks

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2012 17:59 #29995 by mcjimny
If you buy the bearing kit off martin the retaining ring is included. Its a dealer only part that martin puts together with the bearing and axle seal.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 20:57 #30019 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Rear wheel bearing retainer

mcjimny wrote: If you buy the bearing kit off martin the retaining ring is included. Its a dealer only part that martin puts together with the bearing and axle seal.

Yeah thats what I was going to do. But the Bigjimny shop is out of stock of the non abs ones at the mo. I would normally wait till they come back into stock but I need to do the bearing asap as I need to do some motorway miles in the next few weeks!

There is a bearing place near to me so I was just going to go down there and get something to fit but the Jimny is my daily driver so I cant strip it 1st.:(

If they cant do it I have an engineer friend who can knock me something up but I need the dimensions!:)

More
04 Jan 2012 21:38 - 04 Jan 2012 21:38 #30028 by mcjimny
If your main dealer hasn't got it in stock they can usually get it within 3 days. Its about £13ish.

Last edit: 04 Jan 2012 21:38 by mcjimny.

More
05 Jan 2012 06:55 #30041 by mlines
I have two kits in stock (as of 8am, 5/1/12), the online stock system can get out of step with reality as I also buy/sell outside of the website system.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Bigchridy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2012 17:03 #30065 by Bigchridy
Replied by Bigchridy on topic Re: Rear wheel bearing retainer

mlines wrote: I have two kits in stock (as of 8am, 5/1/12), the online stock system can get out of step with reality as I also buy/sell outside of the website system.

Not any more!B) Just ordered them!!!

Cheers Martin

Chris

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2012 23:08 #30107 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: Rear wheel bearing retainer
what way do bearings go on can you put pics up for me thanks got to do my two bearings on mine lol and do you have to cut bearing off like the retainer ring or do it prise of with a bar thanks

More
06 Jan 2012 18:15 #30168 by mcjimny
You will see once you have the shaft out, the seal goes on the outside/drum side. If you fit it the wrong way round the drum will foul the back plate, and you can't press the bearing off once its on.

Usually when i do it the bearing needs cutting off and then grind the inner down. Its not as hard as the retainer though and if you can get enough off to split it with a cold chisel it will tap off.

The following user(s) said Thank You: suzuki jimny fella

More
06 Jan 2012 18:57 #30174 by mlines
The pictures in the guide show the way the bearing fits.

Figure 8 shows the rear of the bearing with the tin-plate rear cover and the bearing retainer ring.

Figure 11 shows the front of the bearing with the built in spacer ring that fits flush to the back of the flange on the driveshaft.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: suzuki jimny fella

More
13 Jan 2019 21:24 #200680 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Rear wheel bearing retainer
When replacing a worn rear wheel bearing, can the old ABS retainer ring be re-used instead of obtaining and using a new one?
Even if it is possible, would it be a discouraged option and for which reasons?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
13 Jan 2019 21:33 #200684 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Rear wheel bearing retainer

Bosanek wrote: When replacing a worn rear wheel bearing, can the old ABS retainer ring be re-used instead of obtaining and using a new one?
Even if it is possible, would it be a discouraged option and for which reasons?

Near impossible thing to remove without damaging it somehow.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2019 23:00 #200696 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Rear wheel bearing retainer
When i recently installed new retainers on HD axles, we warmed the retainer up with a induction heater, and it slpped right on by itself..No press, no hammer.. it expanded quite alot.
This tells me that if you heat it up very quickly, i.e. with a very intensive heat source like maybe a blowtorch or similar, you might be able to pull it off with not to much force. Not with a induction heater thogh, that will heat up the axle as well ;)

I will absolutly test that the next time, before starting the boring grinding process.
I do hope its not needed for a loong time though.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds