BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Boot Light

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
13 Nov 2019 09:42 #215595 by DrRobin
Boot Light was created by DrRobin
I am currently making a parcel shelf, but the boot is already pitch black when dark and the parcel shelf just makes it worse, it really needs a light in there. My Jimny is already fitted with a rear door switch and noticed a knock out panel in the side trim which I thought might make a good boot light. I had to run a +12V wire from the dash board, but that was easy enough to do.

My starting point was a LED footwell light for an Audi, bought from eBay (2 for about £8.50)

The Audi light turned out to be too deep and hits the metal behind the knock out, so I didn't need the connector and removed some of the plastic and cut the metal reflector/heat shield down. I soldered a couple of wires on to the terminals and then used a two part connector (old disk drive connector) so it is easy to remove/change. Here it is modified and with a cut out in the knock out.

It fitted in to the knock out and the flange on the LED light unit covers the cut out edge.

I had to trim the side panel a little behind the knock out as the wires hit the trim, but it is covered by the knock out/light when it is in place. Now my boot lights up like Blackpool on a winters night.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike, Bill Portland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2019 11:07 - 13 Nov 2019 11:08 #215597 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Boot Light
Very nice, neat and tidy great job
Last edit: 13 Nov 2019 11:08 by Daniel30.

More
14 Nov 2019 20:48 #215632 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Boot Light
Looks like it's supposed to be there, very nice installation. Thanks for sharing, plan to do the same myself as even though my rear seats are removed it's too dark in the back.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• DrRobin
  • DrRobin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Newbie in Northumberland
More
15 Nov 2019 11:10 #215654 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Boot Light
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks Scimike,

That's what I thought, just crying out for a light in there.

These are lights I bought

LED Courtesy Luggage Trunk Boot Footwell Door Light For Audi A3 A4 S4 A5 A6 Q5

£8.99 but a man in a white van delivered them in to my hands on Sat morning, great value.

They are not polarity sensitive, they have a full bridge rectifier, so just connect them up either way round. The plastic was easy to cut away with a small hacksaw and the metal with a pair of aviation snips. I cut the second set of terminals off and then placed a piece of self amalgamating tape between the board and metal reflector to stop any shorts, just in case the board comes out of the fixings.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Mole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Nov 2019 08:13 #215681 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Boot Light
Looks a tidy job I had to do similar but I haven't got rear seats so I did this where the seat belt was
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds