BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any wheel nut experts out there.

More
13 Oct 2019 20:34 #214716 by JodieMarie22
Hi, I am building a set of winter wheels and tyres for my Jimny. It’s an SZ5 with alloy wheels but my winter wheels are refurbed standard 2012 Jimny steel wheels.

Martin has already told me that the wheel nuts for steel and alloy Jimny wheels are different but when I search online for them I can only find 60 degree taper wheel nuts for sale that are advertised as suitable for both steel and alloy wheels.

Does anyone know if the OE Jimny nuts for steel wheels have a 60 degree taper or radius on the mating surface?
A picture of the nut would be greatly appreciated. If it is a taper my current nuts may suffice.

Also if anyone has some OE nuts for steel wheels they no longer need and could benefit from some beer money, I would be interested in purchasing instead of risking buying some Chinese junk.

Vmt for any help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Oct 2019 21:58 #214722 by kirkynut
I've compared original nuts to those from the interwebs and cannot find a difference in the taper.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: JodieMarie22

More
14 Oct 2019 14:48 #214750 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: JodieMarie22

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2019 15:44 #214752 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Any wheel nut experts out there.
60° Taper on both as said but the shoulder is broader on the alloy wheel version.
In theory you can use the alloy version on a steel wheel but not the other way round.
Chris

More
14 Oct 2019 16:13 #214753 by JodieMarie22
Excellent news, no need for another set of nuts. Many thanks to all who replied .

More
14 Oct 2019 16:17 #214754 by JodieMarie22
To anyone interested I am trying to do a permanent fix on the tpms problem by purchasing a programmable set of sensors and cloning the I’d numbers of the originals in the alloy wheels. Not going well so far but I live in hope and will post results if it is a success.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Oct 2019 18:28 #214762 by CC Baxter
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI use this cigarette packet sized emulator, works a treat.

Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Oct 2019 04:21 #214766 by Lambert
As I have suggested before, be careful with the tpms bypassing. If you have a collision and it is judged to be as a consequence of a deflating type that the system would have warned you of, your insurance will probably try to weedle their way out of liability. Just be careful.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Oct 2019 16:00 #214825 by JodieMarie22
No, I’m not bypassing the system. I am fitting sensors in my winter wheels but trying to program them with the same unique codes that the original sensors have. This means the system will remain fully operational with both sets of wheels and no need to visit the main dealer.
Emulator and loss of the tpms feature = £50
4 programmable sensors and fully working system =£80 + £40 for a re-useable program pad.

Sounds simple but in practice it’s proving a bit troublesome.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Oct 2019 17:33 #214830 by CC Baxter
Sounds like fun, post a link to these programmable do-dahs will you.
Chris

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds