BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Soft Top Jimneys

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 17:40 #214116 by Stewarthunt1
Soft Top Jimneys was created by Stewarthunt1
Hi All,
I'm looking at buying a Jimny as we've had 2 bad Winters now in succession and I like to think I won't be stranded. I really liked the older Soft top jimnys but found info that mentioned these were built in Spain to a lesser quality. Do any soft toppers agree with the lesser quality and can you go wrong in buying a soft topper?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 17:41 #214117 by Stewarthunt1
Replied by Stewarthunt1 on topic Soft Top Jimneys
Is it also possible to get soft top conversions on hard tops? Sorry if that's a ridiculous question.

More
01 Oct 2019 18:35 - 01 Oct 2019 18:37 #214119 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Soft Top Jimneys
Hello and Welcome.
I am not 100% sure the Spain / Japan manufacture quality difference is based on any real evidence other than people's expectations of products from the two countries. They both suffer rust problems and have potentially the same mechanical issues, but it is conceivable that the soft top is more susceptible to the elements and the associated extra rust or water damage. Having said all that they are both very reliable and simple vehicles, but you need to check any before you purchase. If you like the soft top I would look for one in good condition, but my gut feeling is that there are more hard tops around and so more choices.
Not aware you can get a "off the shelf" conversion to make a soft top unless you are happy to get the grinder out and make your own.
Stand to be corrected, I only have experience of the hard roof variety, simply for security reasons.
Have fun
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 18:37 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stewarthunt1

More
01 Oct 2019 18:50 #214122 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Soft Top Jimneys
A BIGJimny welcome top the forums Stewart, and greetings from the Cotswold Hills.

Firstly to answer your last post, the soft-top body and tin-top body are two different animals.
I understand that there is a fibreglass hard-top that can fit the convertibles through winter, but to me - I just dont get the point.

I am the owner of a late soft top. As a lover of open-air motoring for the past 40 years, I feel it islikely that I will never own another "tin-can" if I can help it.

Luckily I have my neighbour's tin-top Jimny to compare mine to, and to be honest I don't see very much difference.
Cotswold Jimny are based in Blockley just up the road from me and couldnt say a good word about the open-top varieties saying they would never have anything to do with them when I made enquiries about buying one. They said all the part numbers where different; the hoods were useless; and the cars as a whole were more trouble than they were worth.
I was dismayed when, after I'd made my enquirie, and gone ahead and bought elsewhere, I found them selling two examples.

My brother owned an O2 model from new and never had any quality issues with it - he loved the car and only sold it to assist with financing a house purchase. During his tenure he enjoyed many years of open motoring with it, and it was based on his experience of ownership that I bought mine.

The main things to look out for are corrosion - but while thats also true of the tin-tops, however if leaking weather-equipment on the convertibles has not been addressed quickly then the rot can set in from the inside out. - most noteable is the boot area where the jack is stowed.

The rear hood, and the targa (the bit above the driver) is easily available and can be replaced. The quality of the original hoods is pretty poor when compared to the likes of a 1980s MG and it was also poorly designed. The quality of the replacements is different to the original but still not ideal.

I have recently fitted a fastback hood for now, while the full hood is off in order to get some small repairs made. to the rear corners of it.
The fastback looks cool but limits your rear passengers to ones that are fairly challenged in the height department.

The targa fabric is easily replaced, but worth noting is that the targa frame is prone to rotting. This can be replaced with a fibreglass version, but its not cheap! In any case the frame is simple enough to weld up and repair.

I drive mine all year round, it lives outdoors and winter ahs never been a problem. You just need a bit more care and thought with the maintenance of the weather-equipment thats all.

In terms of practicality, it ireally isn't practical if you will be getting gear in ond out of the rear tailgate which involves undoing a load of poppers and the whole thing is just poorly thought out.
If you can live with that then the open-top is easy to get on with.

Feel free to ask more questions about the convertible.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stewarthunt1

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 18:51 #214123 by Stewarthunt1
Hi Scimike,
Thanks for the reply. I only really put it out there as there's a used Jimny dealership in the Cotswolds that won't touch the soft tops because of reliability and build quality associated with the Spanish soft tops.
These guys sowed the seed of doubt in my head
www.jimnysales.co.uk

More
01 Oct 2019 18:54 #214124 by Max Headroom
LOL

Where are you based Stewart?

You can come and take a look at mine if you like

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 18:54 #214125 by Stewarthunt1
Hi Max,
Great reply thanks and just by coincidence I posted my Cotswold Jimney experience and noticed you just mentioned them.

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 18:57 #214127 by Stewarthunt1
Forest Of Dean. Where are you?

More
01 Oct 2019 18:58 - 01 Oct 2019 18:58 #214128 by Max Headroom
I didnt care much for their attitude to be honest - maybe I spoke to the wrong person - I dont know - but it seemed very biased and unfair on the convertibe variant.

By the way, as Scimike says, the Convertibles were built in Andalucia in Spain

Im in Stow-On-The-Wold

Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 18:58 by Max Headroom.

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 19:10 #214133 by Stewarthunt1
I must admit when I asked him did they use the same Suzuki parts for the build his reply was they didn't but with not much conviction.
Who knows and who cares its what you like in the end and I can't see Suzuki's Quality control allowing a poor standard even if built elsewhere.
Unless Im proven wrong. Stow-On-The-Wold Lovely part of the World. I lived in Yarnton Oxon and loved a motorbike ride out to Stow. Now were the other side in Glos. Do you ride yours Off road much?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 19:23 #214135 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Soft Top Jimneys
I've got a Spanish built Honda bike, people used to get sniffy about that too. Nobody cares anymore it's just an old bike. Many things gain credibility with age and the soft top Jimny is long overdue to be recognised for what it is, a cracking little vehicle.
Chris

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 19:26 #214136 by Stewarthunt1
Me to. Montesa 4ride

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds