BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Fox suspension

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 06:44 #214042 by Nikola
Replied by Nikola on topic Jimny Fox suspension
That js adventure class. Have a lot of speed but also have heavy off road on some of stages...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 06:51 #214043 by Nikola
Stock shock fwd are 4 " travel and rear 6" travel. When jnstall +3" lift kit that have to be as per calculation 7" forward and 9 " for rear shock if i am not wrong. What is your opinion?

More
30 Sep 2019 07:12 #214045 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Jimny Fox suspension
What amount did you extend your bump stops? To get a shock with the most available travel on stock components, you would want a compressed length of about 12.5 inches for the front. It would be about 14 inches for the rear. If you have extended the bump stops by 2 inches, you would want something with approximately 14.5 inches compressed length in the front and 16.00 in the rear. From there you can look at6 what shocks have those compressed lengths and 8 and 10 inch travel. I am looking for the list I have.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 07:14 #214046 by Nikola
Some stages have speed like on rally raid but some of them have heavy mud and sand. So i have to find solution what will be best setup to cover everything...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2019 07:15 #214047 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Ok so something like rally raid. So you have the lift to give the suspension time to absorb the energy of a jump or such like. Ok have you removed the springs and dampers as suggested above and cycled the axles from full bump to a reasonable droop will the polyurethane bushes in place? Bear in mind that you have to allow some slack in the droop to accommodate the steering effect on the front brake pipes. Also with expensive dampers it is going to be sensible to use separate droop limit straps to avoid unnecessary damage.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Sep 2019 07:17 #214048 by zukebob
You and Lambert beat me to a reply. Bump stop extension length?

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 07:17 #214049 by Nikola
I have hydraulic bump stops 4" by Terrafirma.

More
30 Sep 2019 07:26 #214050 by zukebob
4 inch stroke or 4 inches of extension when compressed?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Sep 2019 07:49 #214051 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Fox suspension
If it's to include sand driving have you considered remote adjustable dampers like what some of the custom car types are using? Bit expensive but more control for different surfaces?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Nikola
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Sep 2019 09:15 #214053 by Nikola
4 inches stroke

More
30 Sep 2019 19:18 #214073 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Jimny Fox suspension
Zukebob, I’m interested to know why you think poly bushes will allow more travel than standard rubber? I’ve always found the polybushes much stiffer than the standard rubber ones. The ones with the gaps are best and are always better with a bit of wear and best just before they fail. Cheers
John.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
01 Oct 2019 02:20 #214081 by zukebob
John:
Earlier on I would have stuck to the "normal" opinion that rubber bushes provide better flex while the poly bushes have longer life. There have been improvements in poly that would make me want to experiment.

When I say should help, it is literally should. It is theory only and I haven't found any good data. The suggestion would also be dependent on the bushes used. As an example, Superpro are designed to allow the bush at the chassis mount to rotate freely. The rubber will allow some rotation prior to their max deflection. Once that is reached they will prevent further rotation which allows downward travel. Obviously there is a lot more going on in the suspension components than just downward rotation of the radius arms. Typically, when one wheel raises, compressing the spring and shock, the opposing wheel will either remain neutral or drop. That causes a twisting motion of the radius arms at the chassis mount which will also restrict motion (flex).

My desire at some point would be to replace the bushes on the chassis end of the radius arms with Superpro while keeping the axle bushes rubber. My thinking is that the rubber will still accommodate some twisting while the poly will allow rotation. The rubber will also help with that old NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) issue. Someday I will see. Currently I use rubber for the same old flex argument.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds