BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jul 2019 22:00 - 16 Jul 2019 22:26 #211151 by Andy2640
Slight lean to the right on my gen 4? was created by Andy2640
Hi guys,

You may think this is a little silly, but ive noticed a slight lean on the jim (to the right) from around the 3rd week of ownership. At first i dismissed this as an uneven driveway :cheer: I then kinda forgot about it from that point onwards. But whilst showing a mate the jim earlier, i once again noticed it. Its a very subtle lean, that must be more pronounced once my carcass is sat in it.

Picture doesnt do it justice, but i can assure you its there. Cargo in back is evenly distributed and no extra weight is in either side.

Any ideas??

P.S ... The car park was empty, but thats no excuse :pinch: :whistle:
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jul 2019 22:26 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2019 00:04 #211159 by Bill Portland
Have you measured from the ground to the edge of the wheel arches to confirm 5he lean, and how much?

Just after I got mine I noticed a lean and it was about an inch difference side to side. Then I forgot all about it til I saw your post

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jul 2019 04:40 #211162 by Lambert
Allegedly it's to compensate for the camber in our roads? Or it's to compensate for the driver? Or it's a function of being rhd and the steering box and brake booster being on the same side of the car as the battery. Or it's a function of the suspension geometry of live axles. Etc. If it bothers you jimnybits will sell you a single small spring spacer to put on the off side rear to level it up?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jul 2019 07:03 #211166 by Scimike
I can see it on the pictures.
Shouldn't the lean be the other way?
I was under the impression (G3 , no reason G4 different) that a slightly longer spring is fitted to the drivers side rear to compensate for the additional drivers weight, ie it's level with driver in. Yours will lean more with driver onboard.
Seen a post on this, I'll try and find it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
17 Jul 2019 07:55 #211167 by mlines
Gen3 had different rate springs on the rear to compensate. It sags after a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 08:21 #211170 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?
Scimike commented on the drivers side springs being stronger and this sounds familiar, I remember Rancho suspension lifts always worked that way. Your car hasn't been fitted with left hand drive suspension by mistake has it?
Chris

More
17 Jul 2019 08:49 #211172 by mlines
Mentally draw a line alone the kerbstones and then see how it aligns with the bottom of the rear lights, I dont see any real lean at all

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 08:57 #211173 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Re:Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?
Thanks for everyones input, its appreciated.

Ok, first port of call is to measure the difference either side. So i'll crack on with that now.

Any other gen 4 owners got the same lean or ??

I'll report back with measurements.

More
17 Jul 2019 09:04 #211175 by Bill Portland
My Range Rover Sport had an automatic levelling system so that it would level itself when parked on uneven ground (to stop the ice spilling out of the champagne bucket whilst watching the polo, dont you know). Maybe Suzuki think the Jimny needs that too.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 09:42 #211176 by Andy2640
As suspected: 79cm left rear / 82cm right rear.

3cm difference. Mmmhhhh

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 11:23 #211178 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Re:Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?
Is the lean - the way your drive leans if you know what I mean, maybe park it the other way round, could it be the new springs settling in but the way your drive slopes? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 11:46 #211180 by Andy2640

Daniel30 wrote: Is the lean - the way your drive leans if you know what I mean, maybe park it the other way round, could it be the new springs settling in but the way your drive slopes? Just throwing some thoughts out there.

Hi Daniel,

Yeah i know what you mean, ive tried it in 3 different locarions now, and in all 3 they lean by 2-3 cm.

Goes in for its 2000 mile check up in a few weeks, so i'll have to raise it with them, see what they reckon.

Cheers.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds