BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Whoopsy I think!

More
13 Jul 2019 21:35 #211000 by Fossie
Whoopsy I think! was created by Fossie

I have added the pictures to show my dilemma .
In the pictures you will see the near side wheel is nearly 2" out of mudguard ....the offside 2" inside mudguard ...
The torsion bar is 2" apart!!
This happened on a bend on an A road in Staffordshire. Interesting handling for a few hundred metres!

There doesn't seem to be any other damage, other than the radius arms? Slightly twisted in the bushes ...to be expected.

On out ward journey I smelled hypoiod oil and sure enough the front off side wheel was covered on the inside....these 2 incidents aren't connected ( no pun intended) are they?
More importantly how easy to sort ?
Cheers in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JimnyBob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jul 2019 22:27 #211004 by JimnyBob
Replied by JimnyBob on topic Whoopsy I think!
Didn't realise these were hollow inside.

Pretty easy to sort, you could even get some heavy duty panhard bars.

Wouldn't of thought the oil on front is connected, will probably be knackered kingpin bearings which have caused the axle oil seal to fail.

More
13 Jul 2019 22:42 #211006 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Whoopsy I think!
Cheers for reply , I was hoping a new bar and King pins complete would sort this .....the reason still evades me however..
Also a wow moment to realise that the axle is held in place by a piece of tubing! Obviously it works usually and this is a maintainance issue:dry:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jul 2019 05:46 #211009 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Whoopsy I think!
That's an interesting failure mode for the panhard to just shear in the middle. More usual for it to kill its bushes or rip a mount bracket off one end. And that just happened driving down the road? Seems a very clean and straight break for the middle of a tube. The panhard is usually either under tension or compression under normal circumstances and being free to rotate at both ends it doesn't experience a bending force of any magnitude One would usually expect a tube to exhibit an area of narrowing or waisting as the material yields before failing and the actual failure point would be more ragged from a tension overload. And a compression overload would cause bending and buckling. A relatively thick walled tube like that is actually really quite tough and the amount of movement it is likely to experience shouldn't really be able to do that kind of damage in isolation. Very odd.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Jul 2019 10:21 #211024 by Fossie
Dreadnought my thoughts exactly. Further examination today in the daylight will not reveal much, I can only surmise that the bushes are not free enough, due to ingress of dirt / corrosion in the bolts. ( In my defence I have only had this one 4 months!.......poor defence however!)
Though as stated I would have thought the rod would bend first and it shows no signs of stress around the break.

I will order heavy duty rods and bushes , a used item will be cheaper but pre fatigued .
I will inspect my daughters motor at the weekend for similar .
Still stumped however.

More
16 Jul 2019 20:50 #211145 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Whoopsy I think!
Panhard rods have been known t bend off road, so a little accident will have the same effect.

Shearing in half is a little less expected!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fossie

More
27 Jul 2019 22:12 #211563 by Fossie
So today the Jimny and its new panhard bar became acquainted , in the rain with a hint of err more rain.. When we joined the ends of the old one back together there was a bend in it. Must've been there for a while.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Jul 2019 04:21 #211564 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Whoopsy I think!
So it could have been a preexisting stressed area that has work hardened or fatigued and failed over time rather than necessarily failing in one event? Hmmm still quite odd. Not that it matters now you have fixed it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds