BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Swapping Tyres Around For Even Wear

More
14 Jun 2019 19:59 #209955 by Bob1050
Understand that G4 Jimny owners should swap their tyres around at 6000 miles to ensure even wear and loadings on 4WD drive system. Are others doing this (or might I be the first owner to hit such a high mileage)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2019 20:22 #209956 by Soeley
This is something I have been meaning to ask. I was unsure of the mileage figure, so wondered if it would be at each service or before maybe every 10,000 miles?

More
14 Jun 2019 23:14 - 14 Jun 2019 23:47 #209958 by Scimike
Does it actually make any difference?

I assume the G4 is the same as G3 in that it's not permanent 4WD.
As 4WD should only be engaged on a loose surface any difference in the tyre diameter is not going to cause any issues. Never swapped them around on my LandRover or Jimny G3, no problems to report. May be a different story on permanent 4WD vehicles though, don't know for sure..
You could argue they will last longer as a matched set of tyres if you do, but if you replace any worn with the same type it makes little to no difference in my opinion. The tyre swap pattern shown in any manual is for the tyres originally supplied with the vehicle, different tyres have different requirements. Example you can't swap directional tread pattern tyres from one side of the vehicle to the other, only front to back, so check what you are doing if you have none standard tyres fitted.

Not saying you should not do it, just asking the above question.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 14 Jun 2019 23:47 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jun 2019 05:05 #209959 by Lambert
I do a 4 tyre rotation every service on Dreadnaught. Not to protect the car but to get the best out of the tyres. My last set of urban terrain bfg were less than half worn at 40000 miles when I swapped them onto the blue car. I know bfg last almost indefinitely but all 4 tyres were within a couple of tenths of mm at 5.5mm rather than the front 2 being at say 3mm and the rear at 6.5mm.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Jun 2019 07:24 - 15 Jun 2019 07:26 #209960 by Scimike
I agreed it's good practice if you want even tyre wear, but not 100% sure you gain much more. Possible to put forward a case for consistent handling if they are all worn the same or greater life? I don't know and can't find any supporting evidence.
It's a fact that all manufacturers recommend some form of tyre dance, each with different swap patterns, but it's not normally part of the service schedule or plan.
I guess I am just too lazy to move the tyres around, shame on me. :(

To provide a possible answer to BOB1050 and Soeley (sorry for the deviation), Black circles recommend every 6000 miles or 6 months.
6 months? Anyway here's the link:

www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyre_fitting/tyre-rotation

Not a definitive answer, but it is a can of worms in my humble opinion.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2019 07:26 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
15 Jun 2019 08:51 #209968 by Soeley
I just assumed the tyre rotation was was just to maintain even wear, and would possibly benefit the 4wd once engaged. But never having had a rear wheel drive before, I am just used to the front tyres wearing out twice as quick as the rears.

Is tyre wear more even on RWD?

In my mind 4 equally worn tyres would be better than say the rears nearly down to the wear indicator and fronts only being 50% worn?

More
15 Jun 2019 09:00 #209969 by Soeley

Scimike wrote: I agreed it's good practice if you want even tyre wear, but not 100% sure you gain much more. Possible to put forward a case for consistent handling if they are all worn the same or greater life? I don't know and can't find any supporting evidence.
It's a fact that all manufacturers recommend some form of tyre dance, each with different swap patterns, but it's not normally part of the service schedule or plan.
I guess I am just too lazy to move the tyres around, shame on me. :(

To provide a possible answer to BOB1050 and Soeley (sorry for the deviation), Black circles recommend every 6000 miles or 6 months.
6 months? Anyway here's the link:

www.blackcircles.com/helpcentre/tyre_fitting/tyre-rotation

Not a definitive answer, but it is a can of worms in my humble opinion.

So having read the link, If say 80% of my driving was on the roads I'd treat it just as a rear wheel drive for rotational purpose?

More
15 Jun 2019 09:08 #209970 by Bill Portland
Would moving the wheels around have any effect on the tpms system?

More
15 Jun 2019 09:22 #209971 by Soeley

Bill Portland wrote: Would moving the wheels around have any effect on the tpms system?

Oh, never give that a thought, yes it could give a misleading alert?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jun 2019 09:32 #209972 by Lambert
If they are 26psi all round I can't see how it would affect the tpms.

The Jimny is sufficiently under powered that it being rwd makes no difference than if it were a fwd in terms of tyre wear, cornering especially roundabouts wears the tyres, it just hasn't got the guts to knock good quality rear tyres off.

As for the benefits, if you start with 4 new tyres and rotate them for even wear you eventually need another 4 tyres at say 80k if however you start with 4 and don't rotate them you will need an additional pair of front tyres to every pair of rears that get the same 80k. I would sooner spend 500 quid for 80k than spend 750 quid for the same mileage. Obviously I buy expensive bfg tyres but i don't buy them very often.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Jun 2019 10:41 #209973 by Scimike

Soeley wrote: I just assumed the tyre rotation was was just to maintain even wear, and would possibly benefit the 4wd once engaged. But never having had a rear wheel drive before, I am just used to the front tyres wearing out twice as quick as the rears

Front wheel drive hits the front tyres hard, they have cornering forces and drive forces combined, the rears for the most part are just being pulled along like trailer wheels. With this in mind it's not unusual to get the fronts wearing out much faster than the rears.

On RWD cars (Jimny included) the front tyres deal with cornering, the rears with drive. You could in theory wear them out at the same rate if you pushed enough power through the rears. They will wear at different rates, but it's not going to be as bad as FWD unless your tracking is out :laugh:

For the purpose of rotation, if you go by the above link, you should consider the Jimny RWD as on road it should be in this mode.

More
15 Jun 2019 11:01 #209974 by Bill Portland

Lambert wrote: If they are 26psi all round I can't see how it would affect the tpms.

Isn't it the point of tpms to tell you when one (and which one) of your tyre pressures is different to the others?

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds