BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Losing the will to live!!!!

• Staceynye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 12:47 - 21 May 2019 12:48 #208579 by Staceynye
Losing the will to live!!!! was created by Staceynye
Hi guys
Could do with some help! Having an ongoing issue with my 05jimny, it squeals quietly but stops when the clutch is down, it's shredding belts every 4-5 weeks and now when parked at work it won't start when I go to go home! It ticks a few times but that's it! It's had a new alternator, all new belts and a brand new battery! I was told by the garage it would be an idea to replace the started motor but another mechanic has said it's not that and could be a bearing! I'm getting to the point that this is driving me mental! Been going on for months and nothing is working! I'm so fed up and just want my car to work again :-@ any help is appreciated
Last edit: 21 May 2019 12:48 by Staceynye.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2019 12:59 #208580 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Losing the will to live!!!!
Hi. The belt shredding sounds very much like the main crank pulley is coming apart. They are a two part thing bonded together with a rubber damper ring that fails. This will likely be why the alternator is not properly charging. They are not very cheap and can be a pig to remove but if you look in the shop at the top of the page you will find them at a good price.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 May 2019 16:58 #208595 by ahtr
Replied by ahtr on topic Losing the will to live!!!!
As above, crank pulley. Rubber part of pulley will be shot causing the squealing and not driving the belts properly, resulting in alternator not charging the battery.

Genuine pulleys are very expensive (around £180) but an aftermarket one will do the job perfectly well and cost about £60. Worth replacing the crank bolt too, genuine bolt is only about £10-12.

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds