BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Another review

More
28 Apr 2019 06:38 #206813 by mlines
Another review was created by mlines

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 07:03 #206815 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Another review
Hahaaaa!!

I refuse to believe it's that bad on the road (Naa na naaa humm humm humm) NOT hearing this....... (In denial) la laaa laa laaal laaa

FINGERS IN EARS.......:-)

Always been a tad dramatic has Clarkson. But what he said about off-road.....SPOT ON Clarkyboy.

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 07:21 #206817 by jimnyfox
Replied by jimnyfox on topic Another review
I can't believe how many car journalists massively exaggerate how poor the Jimny is on road. They try to make it sound as though its completely unbearable. I assume because they are often driving higher end and luxury vehicles, perhaps it feels that way to them.

I think if most people read that and then drove one, they would wonder what all the fuss was about, although if you only need light off-road capability then there are much better choices that do the tarmac a lot better.

Clarkson definitely got the last bit right though, you do always have a smile on your face when you drive it.

More
28 Apr 2019 09:41 #206819 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Another review
As said above, a lot of journo's slate the on road handling, but it is a lot better than my wife's Grande Punto. And what is wrong with the clutch/ first time I've heard that comment!

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 10:17 #206824 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Another review
Certainly the only journo I know of that would describe the gearchange as baggy.

More
28 Apr 2019 15:06 - 28 Apr 2019 15:10 #206842 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Another Review
Some hyperbole in there, but I don't hugely disagree with most of it, especially if you're comparing it to other brand new cars.

If you're 6'4/6'5 like Clarkson, then the rear seats would be useless for him, but for anyone under 6' they're fine.

It's certainly slow compared to most other brand new cars and doesn't have a lot of power when you consider that 1litre Fiestas with 140bhp are commonplace, but it's not superslow. The 2006 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.6FSI that I replaced only had 115bhp and weighed 300kg more than the Jimny, so a generation ago the performance would have been considered poor but adequate.

I'd imagine it could be painfully noisy trying to hit the top speed, pulling 5000rpm+, but at just under 65mph at 3000rpm you barely have to turn the stereo up, despite the brick-like aerodynamics. I reckon for tyre noise it's actually better than a lot of other modern cars due to the high profile tyres. Our 67 plate Astra certainly makes more noise on rough tarmac.

Agree that it's fidgety at speed, partly due to the r/ball steering and that comfort is paltry compared to a Range Rover, but it's perfectly adequate and far better than a Defender. Did 300 miles this weekend, 90% on motorways and it was fine. Brakes also seem fine to me, although I've not needed to anchor on hugely yet.

Only bit I was surprised about was the clutch/gearbox mention, as most other reviews have praised both. Oh and saying that it has 'electronically managed diffs' is misleading and makes it sound like it has G-Wagen-esque lockers.

Other than that, top review!
Last edit: 28 Apr 2019 15:10 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 15:44 #206843 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic Another review
I have just read it and having driven one.... several times as I have a very nice dealer...... I cannot for the life of me understand what JC is talking about re the "baggy gearbox and dodgy clutch". In the times I have driven one.... yes the bite on the clutch is sharp but not an issue as soon as you are used to its biting point.... no different to any other vehicle form trucks to motorcycles. The gear change has been widely described by the Motoring press as "slick and precise".

The issue we have is that the journalists get to drive cars costing the same as 20 Jimnys put together and then seem to think it's ok to compare them equally. No, the Jimny is not fast to 60..... but it's not meant to be. That's like saying an MX5 is rubbish off road!

Being sad I have probably seen every review of the Jimny. I think the most honest and unbiased one was done on YoubTube by Sniff and Smith. For my money having had Landrover Defenders, a Range Rover and several other 4x4s, including 3 SJs , 3 Gen 3s and an LJ, I have never been this excited about getting a car as I am waiting for my Grellow SZ5.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 15:59 - 28 Apr 2019 16:01 #206845 by Andy2640

Aj4x4 wrote: I have just read it and having driven one.... several times as I have a very nice dealer...... I cannot for the life of me understand what JC is talking about re the "baggy gearbox and dodgy clutch". In the times I have driven one.... yes the bite on the clutch is sharp but not an issue as soon as you are used to its biting point.... no different to any other vehicle form trucks to motorcycles. The gear change has been widely described by the Motoring press as "slick and precise".

The issue we have is that the journalists get to drive cars costing the same as 20 Jimnys put together and then seem to think it's ok to compare them equally. No, the Jimny is not fast to 60..... but it's not meant to be. That's like saying an MX5 is rubbish off road!

Being sad I have probably seen every review of the Jimny. I think the most honest and unbiased one was done on YoubTube by Sniff and Smith. For my money having had Landrover Defenders, a Range Rover and several other 4x4s, including 3 SJs , 3 Gen 3s and an LJ, I have never been this excited about getting a car as I am waiting for my Grellow SZ5.

AJ,

I can relate on many points you made here:

1. I have seen every review at least twice, so I, am sadder than you ;-)
2. My dad called today, said to me "Andy....you might want to cancel your order for the new car, Clarkson has just reviewed it in the Times, i just read it with your mother". I had to explain things...... it took ages ;-)
3. YES.... Sniff and Smith did a great job laying out the jim. Funnily enough i linked my dad to his video.

EDIT: And Sniff bought one with his own wonga. It also helped when i explained that Smith was Clarksons script writer. You couldnt make it up :_)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2019 16:01 by Andy2640.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Apr 2019 16:17 #206850 by Andy2640

GeorgeC wrote: Andy think about tomorrow:
The Jimny will be in your driveway/garage,
The review will be in the bottom of the bird cage!

I know..... Whoooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

More
28 Apr 2019 17:41 #206860 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Another review

Andy2640 wrote:

Aj4x4 wrote: EDIT: And Sniff bought one with his own wonga. It also helped when i explained that Smith was Clarksons script writer. You couldnt make it up :_)

Wrong way round Andy. Jonny Smith bought a Jimny for his wife, Sniff (Richard Porter) is the script editor for The Grand Tour.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 22:48 #207144 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic Another review
Wow. Just seen that latest review by Parkers on You Tube . Talk about a spoiled journalist driving a budget car which he clearly has no understanding of. Talk about slagging it off. I still can't wait to get mine!!!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 May 2019 22:51 #207145 by Andy2640
Mate, believe me! .... Its frickin AMAZING. I have began loving driving again. A little tank it is.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds