BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I've made my Swivel smooth again

More
22 Apr 2019 15:16 - 22 Apr 2019 15:35 #206467 by Scimike
I know it's possible I have wasted my time, but the engineer in me was unable to just put my new swivel seal back onto the rusty swivel during the king pin rebuild. In my mind the rusty surface is just going to allow water in and kill my seal / bearing in double quick time, so I have pondered the best way to improve the swivel surface.
So I have removed the rust treating the surface with rust remover (acid type) and then painted with POR-15 encapsulation paint. Two thin coats to fill the pitting holes, then sanded smooth and finally two more coats. POR -15 not cheap but it's one of the hardest paints I have ever used, predominantly on my motorcycle restorations, so I had a can.

Here is the previous rusty swivel now ready for assembly.

Have I wasted my time? I'll let you know in 12 months, I'll take another picture.
But it's got to be better than rust

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 Apr 2019 15:35 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2019 17:29 #206489 by Lambert
I did something similar when I had to replace my front axle. Only i used a jbweld alike product instead of por15. Lasted for like 11 months and then started to flake off. Didn't bother to replace it as the seal is only for keeping the larger nuggets of debris out.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
22 Apr 2019 18:27 #206496 by Riccy
Nice job! I have tried with good old hammerite and it didnt last long at all. I think it was flaking off at assembly stage :angry: :laugh:

Progress/lifespan report plz!

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
23 Apr 2019 07:40 #206516 by BGBrit
Giving your Jimny a bit of TLC now and again is never a waste of time...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Apr 2019 07:48 #206518 by Lambert
Definitely not. Work hard, maintain hard.

That sounds odd but you know what I mean.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds