BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:25 #206098 by Andy2640
CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone. was created by Andy2640
Just been looking up this car play thingy on youtube.

Am I right in thinking that my Samsung S8 will work with it ok without the need for a USB lead?

Has anyone else been using a non Apple mobile for there calls/music etc?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:38 #206102 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone.
I believe that both Apple car play and Android Auto require the need of a USB cable connected. The system on the Gen 4 supports both and from what I have read works well. As soon as I get mine I will report back. However that is not likely to be until June/July sadly

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:42 - 14 Apr 2019 18:44 #206103 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone.
Ahaa I see. Just seen one video and the bloke was using an apple mobile and said he doesnt need a USB cable to connect. I hope it works without the USB lead with my samsung i-phone. Leads bug the heck out of me, i always get em tangled and loose them. The amount of leads i have around the house, its getting chaotic.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 18:44 by Andy2640. Reason: Hoping you get your jimmy ASAP buddy.

More
14 Apr 2019 19:23 - 14 Apr 2019 19:25 #206111 by Bill Portland
Car play is for iPhones, android auto is for android phones. You need to use a cable for android auto. You can also use mirrorlink if your phone supports it (mine doesn't), but still by cable I believe. You don't need a cable for either if you just want to play music or make receive calls.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 19:25 by Bill Portland. Reason: Addition

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 19:28 #206112 by Andy2640

Bill Portland wrote: Car play is for iPhones, android auto is for android phones. You need to use a cable for android auto. You can also use mirrorlink if your phone supports it (mine doesn't), but still by cable I believe. You don't need a cable for either if you just want to play music or make receive calls.

Thats excellent news! Yepp music and phone calls is all I need. Be great to play a video or film on the screen whilst waiting for the chippy to open ;-)

More
14 Apr 2019 19:59 #206117 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: Car play is for iPhones, android auto is for android phones. You need to use a cable for android auto. You can also use mirrorlink if your phone supports it (mine doesn't), but still by cable I believe. You don't need a cable for either if you just want to play music or make receive calls.

Thats excellent news! Yepp music and phone calls is all I need. Be great to play a video or film on the screen whilst waiting for the chippy to open ;-)

Are you old enough to legally drive, Andy. :laugh: ;) ;

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 20:05 #206118 by Andy2640
Pmsl....... Young at heart mate, young at heart.

Cheeky monkey! :-)

More
14 Apr 2019 21:12 - 14 Apr 2019 21:20 #206125 by Gadget
Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto require a USB connection to function*

You can choose to just connect via Bluetooth, which will allow music playback and handsfree phone use, but this isn't classed as Carplay or Android Auto, as Bluetooth doesn't provide enough bandwidth to support app mirroring.

I'd always recommend connecting via cable rather than Bluetooth, as Android Auto works brilliantly in the Gen4 - Google maps or Waze are great for satnav with full voice control and audio playback using your app of choice with lossless support and better sound quality that BT. Using Bluetooth is also a bit of a faff, as you have to go through a few screens to switch from radio to BT, whereas Android Auto is on the top level screen on the headunit.

Not sure if the Jimny supports Mirrorlink (my phone doesn't, so can't test), but worth pointing out that Android Auto doesn't permit video playback.

*some modern infotainment systems are beginning to support Android Auto via WiFi (not Bluetooth), but this requires both a headunit and handset that supports it. The system in the Gen4 doesn't and I believe only the Google Pixel handsets currently support it.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 21:20 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
15 Apr 2019 07:45 #206130 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone.
Android Auto requires a wired connection. The Bluetooth connection works really well, and copies your phone book too, which previous Suzuki radios didn't manage to do. I haven't tried the media, because I use Google Play Music, and Audible. With the Play Music implementation, you need to setup a playlist before the time otherwise it is near on impossible to choose what you want to listen to.
Android Auto usually works quite well, unless you try and call someone that doesn't have a nice English sounding name. Then it is a pain in the rear, because while you are moving it only allows you to make very few touches on the screen, making it impossible to select the person from the phone book. To get around this, I unplug the USB, then use the radios built in phone functions. The voice recognition is still crap - you are supposed to be able to answer a received text message, I haven't managed to get it right even once. As mentioned Google maps and Waze work well, unless you try to change your destination while driving, then the limited touches thing stops you again.

More
15 Apr 2019 07:47 #206131 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic CarPlay and a Samsung i Phone.

Gadget wrote: Both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto require a USB connection to function*

You can choose to just connect via Bluetooth, which will allow music playback and handsfree phone use, but this isn't classed as Carplay or Android Auto, as Bluetooth doesn't provide enough bandwidth to support app mirroring.

I'd always recommend connecting via cable rather than Bluetooth, as Android Auto works brilliantly in the Gen4 - Google maps or Waze are great for satnav with full voice control and audio playback using your app of choice with lossless support and better sound quality that BT. Using Bluetooth is also a bit of a faff, as you have to go through a few screens to switch from radio to BT, whereas Android Auto is on the top level screen on the headunit.

Not sure if the Jimny supports Mirrorlink (my phone doesn't, so can't test), but worth pointing out that Android Auto doesn't permit video playback.

*some modern infotainment systems are beginning to support Android Auto via WiFi (not Bluetooth), but this requires both a headunit and handset that supports it. The system in the Gen4 doesn't and I believe only the Google Pixel handsets currently support it.

It supports Mirrorlink, I tried it, got frustrated with it and gave up. I also had to disable it on my phone because it would randomly decided to take the place of Android Auto.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2019 09:10 #206133 by Andy2640
I am a technophobe.

Today I got my songs together on Spotify. I currently drive a 2016 VW Polo and it has media link. So without a cable it plays my music crisp and good.

If the smart screen on the jim does that i'll be happy.

More
15 Apr 2019 15:48 #206146 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote: I am a technophobe.

Today I got my songs together on Spotify. I currently drive a 2016 VW Polo and it has media link. So without a cable it plays my music crisp and good.

If the smart screen on the jim does that i'll be happy.

Do you think my mobile will work OK, Andy, or will I have to continue listening to Radio 4?

File Attachment:

Most of the time, when driving, SWMBO is with me, and we tend to talk to each other. Maybe I should try this music thing. :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds