BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any Steering wheel lock recommendations?

More
14 Apr 2019 17:10 - 14 Apr 2019 17:52 #206085 by Hanslow
I used to have one of the diskloks on my old Impreza, back in the day when thefts were on the up.

On one hand I wish I'd kept hold of it, on the other, I'm not sure where I'd stow it whilst driving.

I did also have a device back then called a barrier deadlock I think, which was a device that was welded into the drive tunnel and caused an obstruction with the gear lever. You'd park up, put the car in reverse, then push the latching bolt in. It had a specially designed key to unlock it, otherwise the car was stuck in reverse and was allegedly very difficult to drill out. Not sure if they're still available or whether people would want to go to such trouble. The problem with it was that it wasn't a visual deterrent, but certainly helped some people with potential thefts being thwarted.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 17:52 by Hanslow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2019 17:39 #206089 by Gadget
I've got a Disklok (size small) on my Gen4 and it does give some reassurance having it fitted, but is a pain in the arse to store. Heavy, ungainly and clanky, drives me mad. I've got one of their storage bags which normally lies in the passenger footwell, but it has to get stashed behind my seat when it's a family trip.

Oh and don't spend the money on the Disklok branded cover to protect the wheel, it's absolute garbage. I baby my stuff but it's already falling apart.

More
14 Apr 2019 17:51 - 14 Apr 2019 17:53 #206091 by Max Headroom

Gadget wrote: I've got a Disklok (size small) on my Gen4 - but is a pain in the arse to store.

Exactly the same reason I dont have one on my MG Midget. I chose the StoplLock Pro Elite but even that sn't great. I'm now eying the Milenco Lock I noticed this is used by owners of expensive classics where both cockpit space and storage space is restricted

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 17:53 by Max Headroom.

More
14 Apr 2019 17:57 #206092 by Jezz
??? Is the new generation Jimny's imobilizer that rubbish that it needs any of these things???

It's been fettled just a tad.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:08 #206093 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Any Steering wheel lock recommendations?

Jezz wrote: ??? Is the new generation Jimny's imobilizer that rubbish that it needs any of these things???

By the looks of things, all cars are prone to been jacked. No matter what the make. Maybe i'm wrong??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:11 #206095 by Andy2640

Max Headroom wrote:

Gadget wrote: I've got a Disklok (size small) on my Gen4 - but is a pain in the arse to store.

Exactly the same reason I dont have one on my MG Midget. I chose the StoplLock Pro Elite but even that sn't great. I'm now eying the Milenco Lock I noticed this is used by owners of expensive classics where both cockpit space and storage space is restricted

Hi Max,

But isn't this easily disabled by sawing through the steering wheel in 2 places?

More
14 Apr 2019 18:22 #206097 by Max Headroom
I guess anything can be done to defeat these things but if the steering wheel is in bits I'd like to think the car wont be going very far.

For the old cars I use other old-fashioned measures as well, which include a battery isolation switch, removing the rotor arm, and lifting the HT leads away from the plugs.
You'll never stop these low-life bar-steward scumbags having a go but if you can slow them down quite a lot they might just leave if its all taking too long.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 18:27 #206100 by Andy2640
Fair points....

Crime is getting well out of control these days. Mate had a house burglary, the cops asked when was a good time to visit - The following week!!!

Dark days.

More
14 Apr 2019 19:16 #206110 by Gadget

Jezz wrote: ??? Is the new generation Jimny's imobilizer that rubbish that it needs any of these things???

All immobilisers are rubbish and the new model is in demand.

More
14 Apr 2019 20:12 #206119 by stiffsteve204me

Max Headroom wrote:

Thanks for the link, Max.

"Milenco have taken a classic designed High Security Steering Wheel Lock which was originally approved to the Thatcham standard and completely reengineered it, to enhance its security, so it would pass and exceed the Sold Secure Gold Automotive standard, which is 2 and half times tougher than the Thatcham Standard.

Following of the termination of the Thatcham security standard, which was only 120 second, attack tested, Milenco have had this approved to the Gold Sold Secure standard which is far tougher test with an extreme 300 second, professional attack.

We are confident this is the strongest and most secure steering lock ever made. It has a unique innovative design, that allows for fast and easy fitment in just a few seconds. It comes with 3 x High Security keys which are both durable and highly reliable.

It has exceptional quality features which include the best pick-proof, ultra-high security with a built in locking mechanism, steel construction to resist from sawing and freezing. The locking mechanism has been re-engineered making it far easier to line up and consequently much easier to fit."

For some reason, the yellow is £3 cheaper than the silver.

I wonder if it would clash with Kinetic Yellow. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
14 Apr 2019 20:13 - 14 Apr 2019 20:14 #206120 by Hanslow

Max Headroom wrote: For the old cars I use other old-fashioned measures as well, which include a battery isolation switch, removing the rotor arm, and lifting the HT leads away from the plugs.
You'll never stop these low-life bar-steward scumbags having a go but if you can slow them down quite a lot they might just leave if its all taking too long.

Me too sort of. I had a big red key battery isolator on my old 7 but now that's gone, I've gone for something a bit more discreet on the Eunos and have a proper key barrel lock isolator. Can still be bypassed but they'd have to rummage around sorting electrical cables. My other deterrent on that is the quick release steering wheel. Yes I look a bit of a fool wandering around with a steering wheel, but it's easily tucked away if I've got a rucksack with me.

If it wasn't for modern day airbags and gubbins I'd probably go the same way with the Jimny. One has to have a few creature comforts and protection though.
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 20:14 by Hanslow.

More
15 Apr 2019 14:03 #206142 by Hanslow
That Milenco also looks like it'd double up as a decent personal protection system :)

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds