BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Performance ECU and Turbo

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
14 Apr 2019 00:36 #206027 by zukebob
This company is in the UK so someone on the forum might be familiar with them. I don't really put a lot of trust in these things (or the performance claims the companies make) but interesting to watch.

2019 Jimny ECU and Turbo

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Apr 2019 05:56 #206031 by Lambert
Huge performance gains over stock? Yeah until you get a rod through the block. I would be very cautious.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 07:29 #206033 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Performance ECU and Turbo
As a untrained monkey man mechanic, I am fully confident in my comments.....

I agree with Lambert. It doesn't matter what a gain is, with a gain of any sort comes drawbacks. Or in other words....there's is always a price to pay.

Also voids any warranty, and is a very bad idea IMO. ;-)

However I know jack poop about this sort of thing.

Einstein: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. - As in a ducked-up engine.

More
14 Apr 2019 08:20 #206037 by Soeley
I imagine it would be quite scary driving a Jimny with that much power. You'd be on the bends too quick and with too much momentum behind you, I bet a lot of them would end up falling over!

More
14 Apr 2019 13:42 #206064 by stiffsteve204me

Soeley wrote: I imagine it would be quite scary driving a Jimny with that much power. You'd be on the bends too quick and with too much momentum behind you, I bet a lot of them would end up falling over!

Plymouth Gin has this effect on me. :whistle:

I have to agree, Soeley. IMO, if the Jimny was suitable for this power, it would be offered as an option. It is, what it is.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
14 Apr 2019 14:49 #206067 by Scimike
Got to say I don't understand the thinking behind that. If you want a fast car go and buy one that's designed that way. Don't purchase a ladder frame and solid axle Jimny and hope it will get around the first bend.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Apr 2019 15:05 #206070 by Lambert
Err, oh. I must be doing something wrong?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Apr 2019 16:23 #206078 by Riccy
There is a turbo 'kit' avaliable for the gen3 jimny on aliexpress. I know Kiethy blew up the engine, but that was unlucky and a M13. I think his turbo setup lives on in James Priestly's trayback :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
17 Apr 2019 10:58 #206280 by Bill Portland
from everything i've heard about the gen 4 it seems that a bit of extra power, (coupled to a 6th gear), is just what it's crying out for - to get the revs down at national speed limits. maybe future models will have both.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2019 11:42 #206357 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic 2019 Performance ECU and Turbo
Agree, these things tend to be a recipe for 'lunching' you engine - over time at least. I would be much more convinced by a 'low pressure' turbo installation - or better still maybe a supercharger, particularly for the Jimny with it's off road duties.

Still, interesting to see how the aftermarket develops.

I note that Paranoid Industries - elsewhere on this Forum, were thinking about a low pressure turbo kit.

More
19 Apr 2019 17:11 #206365 by Foxtrot
I wonder what's it like in low 4x4 rock crawling when the turbo keeps kicking in...:laugh:

More
21 Apr 2019 15:30 #206454 by Keithy

Foxtrot wrote: I wonder what's it like in low 4x4 rock crawling when the turbo keeps kicking in...:laugh:

Seemed just fine to me....ace fun in fact.

Looking forward to having my twincharger finished.....even more fun.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds