BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Suzuki Carry/Bedford Rascal Body, on Jimny Chassis.

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2019 18:07 #205973 by Caelite
Hey folks

So, may be dreaming a bit here, was sat under my Jimny today, admiring the typical front body rust (yay, Scotland!), I was pondering something interesting, I am curious of the viability.

These. I have seen a few of these conversions done in Japan. The one pictured is a Suzuki Carry pickup mounted on to a Jimny Chassis with an 8" (!) lift kit, source material in Japanese is here dressup-navi.net/parts/16391/2/ He also equiped his with 225/75R16 BFG MTs which are a fairly extreme tyre for a Jimny frame.

I've been doing a bit of research, generally into the work involved in fitting a Suzuki Carry/Bedford Rascal frame to a more modestly specced Jimny, & the work doesn't seem massive. The Rascal flatbeds are semi-monocoque, so it is possible a bit of fabrication is needed to mate the front end, however the rear end of the trucks appear to be a fairly simply steel lattice with similar body mount locations to the Jimny, so I can't imagine it would be a tremendous amount of work, both the Carry & Jimny appear to have very similar interiors and I believe are the exact same width on the inside (as a consequence of them both being kei compatible) so I imagine the interior bits might not even be too difficult to shoehorn in.

However it does raise the question of why nobody seems to have attempted it outside of Japan, is it just due to the relative scarcity of Carry truck bodies about? Or is there more too it than it seems, I imagined if it was easy the KAP guys would be all over it to create more flatbed space for their Landmaster type vehicles.

Anyone else given a project like this similar thought?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Apr 2019 20:42 #205981 by MadsV

I have one of these, and i would say this is alot of work because the steering etc is totally different. The steering column on the carry goes straight down and between your legs. Im sure it can be done but you need serious skills.
Check out Hoonigan Project Cars on youtube, they have fitted a rotary engine in one and you can see a little more detailed how it is under
Attachments:

More
12 Apr 2019 22:52 #205982 by Jezz
Unless it's changed. It is a kit from pro staff using jimny running gear to convert a rear wheel drive mini pick up into a 4wd.

It's been fettled just a tad.

More
12 Apr 2019 23:06 #205983 by Jezz

More
12 Apr 2019 23:11 #205984 by Jezz

Attachments:

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2019 00:45 #205986 by Caelite
Ah! I know Pro-staff made them, all the material I have read on them have simply refered to them as Carry "Jimny Conversion", I had assumed it was a full chassis conversion rather than just subframes. Cool none-the-less.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds