BigJimny Meet 2019 (17 May 2019)

BigJimny Meet and off-road driving day

20TH OCTOBER 2019

BOOKING NOW CLOSED

If you have booked you will shortly receive joining instructions- See HERE for discussion

Noggin and Natter - pre-event chat - Old Bell at Grazeley (part of hotel) 7:30pm 19th October

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.[/size][/color][/b]

Front Accessory 12V Power Socket

More
10 Apr 2019 19:55 #205841 by Daniel30

MilkyRon wrote: Hi Juullees,

Welcome and congrats on the new Jimny. As has already been said, that 'front accessory power socket' will only be good for supplying power not for getting any data from your phone to the sound system.

If you want to play music from your phone through the car sound system, the only way to go is to replace the standard head unit (the CD player). Don't panic, it's not as expensive or as complicated as it may seem. There are a few posts on this forum covering the exact process. The good news is, that they come in standard sizes and all you need is the new head unit and something called an ISO wiring harness. If you don't fancy doing it yourself, somewhere like Halfords will not only sell you both but they'll fit them for you as well (for a fee).

ISO Harness example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/st...ess-adaptor-ct20hd02

Head Unit example
www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/ca...ouble-din-car-stereo

Both of these can be sourced elsewhere cheaper and there are many more options for head unit out there. Happy shopping!

The tricky bit is sourcing the right surround as they differ by a few millimetres so if you fined one you like you can get the surround afterwards once you have the correct measurements
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juullees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2019 08:21 - 13 Apr 2019 08:19 #205939 by GeorgeC

GeorgeC wrote: I must put the multimeter on mine and see if its "hot" with the key out. That would be handy for the solar panel if it is.

It goes like this:

Front Socket: Key Off = 0V. Acc = 0V. On = 12V.
Rear Socket: Key Off = 0V. Acc = 0V. On = 12V.

This switching method is not a lot of value for most 12V accessories, particularly a Fridge or a Solar Panel. These sockets really need to be re-wired direct to the battery terminals by an Auto Electrician. The warning sticker says a total of 10 Amps (120 Watts) combined load, for both sockets! (See Pages: 5-6, 5-7 in "The Owner's Manual")

Now for those of us that only do short trips, my Battery Voltage is 12.18V. This is a low state of charge, the battery would benefit from a few hours of trickle charging. However, considering the large amount of electronics, the car would benefit from a larger Alternator!

"Nobody expects The Spanish Inquisition."
www.aveoforum.com/forum/f118/seniors-jim...-suzuki-jimny-23477/
Last edit: 13 Apr 2019 08:19 by GeorgeC. Reason: larger Alternator?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juullees

More
30 Apr 2019 07:02 #206958 by Gadget
The 12V sockets not being live with the ignition off is a pain in the bum. I was camping at the weekend and needed to charge my phone, so had to sit in the car with the ignition on for ages! Think I'll add an additional socket that's live all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
30 Apr 2019 12:52 #206974 by Bill Portland

Gadget wrote: The 12V sockets not being live with the ignition off is a pain in the bum. .

But great for dashcams ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeorgeC

More
10 May 2019 23:07 - 11 May 2019 02:27 #207703 by GeorgeC

GeorgeC wrote:

GeorgeC wrote: I must put the multimeter on mine and see if its "hot" with the key out. That would be handy for the solar panel (& a Phone) if it is.

It goes like this:

This switching method is not a lot of value for most 12V accessories, particularly for a Phone, a Fridge or a Solar Panel. These sockets really need to be re-wired direct to the battery terminals by an Auto Electrician. The Warning Sticker says a total of 10 Amps (120 Watts) combined load, for both sockets! (See Pages: 5-6, 5-7 in "The Owner's Manual")

Now, for those of us that only do short trips, my Battery Voltage (12 April) is 12.18V. This is a low state of charge, the battery would benefit from a few hours of trickle charging. However, considering the large amount of electronics, the car would benefit from a larger Alternator!

Now the weather is warming up, the use of these Accessory Sockets will be increasing. I have added "Phone" to the potential situations (above) where the Accessory Sockets can be used.

As for the battery, yes it did benefit from a trickle charge and now (11 May) rests in the 12.6V range after driving the car. I'll post more details later in the INOX Topic.

Last edit: 11 May 2019 02:27 by GeorgeC. Reason: today's voltage

• Andy2640
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
11 May 2019 05:28 #207704 by Andy2640

Gadget wrote: The 12V sockets not being live with the ignition off is a pain in the bum. I was camping at the weekend and needed to charge my phone, so had to sit in the car with the ignition on for ages! Think I'll add an additional socket that's live all the time.

www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/da...aEAQYAiABEgJCSvD_BwE

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.

More
14 May 2019 22:11 - 14 May 2019 22:21 #207987 by GeorgeC

GeorgeC wrote:

GeorgeC wrote: I must put the multimeter on mine and see if its "hot" with the key out. That would be handy for the solar panel (& a Phone) if it is.

It goes like this:

This switching method is not a lot of value for most 12V accessories, particularly for a Phone, a Fridge or a Solar Panel. These sockets really need to be re-wired direct to the battery terminals by an Auto Electrician. The Warning Sticker says a total of 10 Amps (120 Watts) combined load, for both sockets! (See Pages: 5-6, 5-7 in "The Owner's Manual")

Accessory Sockets in some other brands of cars are switched on/off by inserting the plug into the accessory socket, not so with our Jimny! This expectation may cause disappointment and not give you the desired outcome (eg: a flat phone battery). I find it difficult to explain some of this stuff as I don't do "phone-speak", which most younger people seem to use today.

Last edit: 14 May 2019 22:21 by GeorgeC.

Moderators: funkyjimnyooky_123
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds