BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Size of winches

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Apr 2019 21:11 #205385 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Size of winches
I managed to get hold of an 8000lb winch barely used with wireless remotes for £90 I didn't thank that was bad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2019 05:23 #205446 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Size of winches
Wow! You can't go wrong with that, as long as it's not stolen. There's a lot of stolen gear on eBay!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2019 17:10 #205480 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Size of winches
No not stolen it was a second one a guy had taken off his old truck its a warn mx8000 think its an oldish model

More
10 Apr 2022 17:35 - 10 Apr 2022 19:47 #242837 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep
Hi @riccy  I'm curious how your getting along with stock battery and alternator and your 13500 ?
Have you given it decent testing? Even if not in real world... pulling up a bank etc.

My steel bumper on jim is sized/drilled for a big winch and 6000-9000 lb'ers are a pain in the arse to find, not to mention expensive.
so debating sticking a 13500 on it (it's only ever to pull myself out so it will only ever be doing light work for it's powerscale) .
Only trouble is I'm on stock alternator, I have got a dual battery set up on truck but they're both still only tiddlers! 400cca & 320cca so I'm paranoid that I'm going to cook something with a big winch?

So yea, how are you getting on so far??
Cheers.
Tom
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 19:47 by TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep.

More
10 Apr 2022 18:54 - 10 Apr 2022 19:08 #242840 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Size of winches
have 4500lb winch on tow ball bar

have added front tow bar bracket on winch plate.

now I can recover forward and backwards.

have second battery in the back. so easily connect to second battery when used backwards.

what it look like front with grill inserted. easily to remove grill gaurd to get to front tow point by just remiving a few clips.

note. photos of winch with cable is from 2 years ago. in mean time cable was replaced with rope.

in my case the design was to get myself unstuck. never to recover landrovers and land cruisers.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2022 19:08 by lookonimages.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Apr 2022 18:20 #242918 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Size of winches

Hi @riccy  I'm curious how your getting along with stock battery and alternator and your 13500 ?
Have you given it decent testing? Even if not in real world... pulling up a bank etc.

My steel bumper on jim is sized/drilled for a big winch and 6000-9000 lb'ers are a pain in the arse to find, not to mention expensive.
so debating sticking a 13500 on it (it's only ever to pull myself out so it will only ever be doing light work for it's powerscale) .
Only trouble is I'm on stock alternator, I have got a dual battery set up on truck but they're both still only tiddlers! 400cca & 320cca so I'm paranoid that I'm going to cook something with a big winch?

So yea, how are you getting on so far??
Cheers.
Tom
Just replied to your PM, But yes essentially the 13500 is doing fine.

Pros:
Long synthetic rope with nice strong hook
Powerful when needed, too powerful in fact. Will usually drag the car forwards before pulling anything heavier than the car!
Clutch leaver housing can be rotated to make it front facing rather than top

Cons:
Solenoid box isnt waterproof. Solenoid is, but the wireless control receiver is NOT so make sure its protected.
Paint peel pretty quickly (if that bothers you)]
High gearing to attain the claimed max 13500 load makes it fairly slow to spool in/out compared to others.

Testing:
Used in anger a few times now and it performed and did as indicated on all occasions. Sometimes it was necessary to anchor the car at the rear to a large tree or other vehicle, but once anchored it go the job done.
Has pulled from mud at pay & play so far:
2x LR D2,
1x LR 90,
1x Hilux surf (twice)

and laning:
Itself 4 times, 2 of which on the same ravine.

Otherwise:
Winched engines in/out of cars in the garage and recovered plant eqt from muddy sites.

Generally the other mods mean that winching is a last resort sort of thing but it does the job when called on with just the original single battery. mostly because i am only pulling small loads.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheHillsAreAliveWithTheSoundOfSheep

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds