BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny has 'unacceptable' security

More
21 Mar 2019 14:34 - 21 Mar 2019 14:36 #204894 by Gadget
...according to Thatcham.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/ca...hlighted-new-ratings

Confusing article as the focus is on relay attacks on keyless systems, which UK Jimnys don't have.

If there's some fundamental flaw in the car security (I'm assuming an OBD attack of some kind), it would be nice if they could let us know how to make it more difficult for thieves.

Still, it adds another option for people on the waiting list eager to get a car :lol:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2019 14:36 by Gadget.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2019 14:53 #204896 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New Jimny has 'unacceptable' security

Gadget wrote: ...according to Thatcham.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology/ca...hlighted-new-ratings

Confusing article as the focus is on relay attacks on keyless systems, which UK Jimnys don't have.

If there's some fundamental flaw in the car security (I'm assuming an OBD attack of some kind), it would be nice if they could let us know how to make it more difficult for thieves.

Still, it adds another option for people on the waiting list eager to get a car :lol:

This gets better by the day dont it! ;-)

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2019 15:41 #204899 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic New Jimny has 'unacceptable' security
The unacceptable rating appears to have stemmed from the lack of alarm and locking wheel bolts.

www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/security/con...-rating-2?tvi=SU2570

Thatcham quote: "This car [Jimny] falls well below expectation, scoring consistently poorly across all criteria, and missing some fundamental security features that consumers might rightly expect should be fitted."

More
21 Mar 2019 15:44 #204900 by atinod
I'm confused too.
I assume the Jimny failed in another test, but why it is included with the 'keyless' cars makes little sense?
I wonder if there is a way to read the full test report?

More
21 Mar 2019 16:22 #204903 by Gadget

The vehicle may not have an alarm system. It is recommended that a Thatcham Research certified alarm is added.
The vehicle has no Thatcham Research certified locking wheel bolts, a major deterrent against theft of wheels. It is recommended that locking wheel bolts are purchased.

'may not have an alarm'? 'May'? Did they test it or not? Plus mine certainly has locking wheel bolts, although it appears from this that they're not Thatcham certified.

Has the whiff of grandstanding to promote the purchase of 'Thatcham approved' security products, which one would assume a manufacturer needs to pay them to approve.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2019 16:26 #204904 by Andy2640
Thought the Over-seas Jimny did have key-less entry and Push start. Perhaps conducted in the US? (Could be very wrong tho).

More
21 Mar 2019 16:51 #204905 by Gadget
I think only JDM cars have keyless. Thatcham are a UK org (and the yanks don't get the new Jimny at all!)

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2019 17:31 #204906 by Andy2640
Yepp your right, im talking rubbish hahahahaaa. :-)

Cheers Gadget.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Mar 2019 18:19 #204909 by Lambert
Don't forget that Thatcham are very involved with the insurance industry. They will doubtless claim to be impartial but given the weight put behind their findings by the insurance and given the widely accepted fact that the insurance industry is corrupt it's not hard to see how pressure can be brought to bear on thatcham to massage a Jimny into a different class of security system and also offer a downgrade on the basis of locking wheel nuts. It gives the insurance industry a reason to load the premiums.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
21 Mar 2019 20:41 #204911 by Soeley
Well mine has an alarm as I found out. I left my Aunt in the car in car park and locked it with the fob whilst I went inside to get the wheelchair. When she saw me coming back she opened the door and the alarm went off.

More
21 Mar 2019 21:45 #204914 by Bob1050
You cannot beat a bit of 'sensationalism' when it comes to lazy journalism. Why bother with investigative journalism and carefully considered facts when you can put the wind up some readers. For those who were educated at the school for the hard of thinking it might cause sleepless nights - I won't be losing any sleep over this story. On the other hand, the insurance companies always like any excuse to identify potential risks and charge accordingly.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Mar 2019 23:03 #204916 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic New Jimny has 'unacceptable' security
Only problem with the insurance industry conspiracy theory is: why bother with such a low volume vehicle? I prefer to think the security consultant is on the "new jimny waiting list" and is being dicked around by Suzuki :)

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds