BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:torque to weight ratio?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2019 13:37 #204344 by Andy2640
torque to weight ratio? was created by Andy2640
Howdy guys and gals,

Does anyone know the calculation for weight to torque ratios please.

I keep hearing journalists say that the new Jimny doesn't have much power. But considering the weight of the jimny and the low range gearing etc, surely this statement is moot.

Appreciate any help with this, thank you kindly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2019 14:22 #204346 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic torque to weight ratio?
Power to weight = BHP divided by weight (86bhp / 1200kg = 71.66bhp per ton)

Torque to weight = Torque divided by weight (81 foot pounds / 1200kg = 67ftlb per ton)

I think that's what your after ?

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2019 14:26 #204347 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic torque to weight ratio?
Perfect Sniper! Thank you buddy.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Mar 2019 18:03 #204358 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic torque to weight ratio?
Don't get too hung up on power and torque to weight ratios as they don't take into account the effect of gearing. You could have a thousand torque per tonne but if you are also gearing for a hundred mph in first you're not going to accelerate too quickly.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
09 Mar 2019 18:28 #204360 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic torque to weight ratio?
I would stop looking at any reviews or spec sheets and just go for a test drive, you will know straight away if a Jimny of any generation is for you or not. The Jimny is never going to win in a Top Trumps card game, but that's not why we choose to own one. :laugh:
Smiles per mile factor is very high.....

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2019 18:54 #204362 by Andy2640
Nice info guys, appreciated!

Yes done the test drive, love it! Just bugs me how inaccurate the motoring press have been on the new Jim. Mind due, this doesn't surprise me, just look at the BBC news and other non credible media these days;-) All media is BS ;-)

From what iv'e seen, the Jimny is absolutely savage off road! Its a beast!

Hear ya about gearing. Great advice, i'll just KNOW that I know.... how killer the jimny is, and feel the power :-)

Cheers.

More
09 Mar 2019 19:01 #204363 by reedx
Replied by reedx on topic torque to weight ratio?
Isn't the new Jimny 101bhp, not 86bhp?
Colin

More
10 Mar 2019 12:12 - 10 Mar 2019 12:32 #204379 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic torque to weight ratio?

Andy2640 wrote: Nice info guys, appreciated!

Yes done the test drive, love it! Just bugs me how inaccurate the motoring press have been on the new Jim. Mind due, this doesn't surprise me, just look at the BBC news and other non credible media these days;-) All media is BS ;-)

Hear ya about gearing. Great advice, i'll just KNOW that I know.... how killer the jimny is, and feel the power :-)

Cheers.

Hmm.. Torque and power are measurements and physical facts of the car, they are not fake news from facebook. There is no conspiracy here :)
Figures could sometimes be a bit tweaked by the sales people like the emissions on german cars, but in general they are accurate enough to give an impression of the performance.
However they do not say much about the driving and how the car performs in everyday use. That is more up to taste and what you are used to. Most driving tests do not appreciate that a ladder frame 4x4 with rigid axles is a very different car than a hot hatch.

Most journalists have little knowledge so they will tend to embrace the numbers and figures to have an easier work day. And if they can they will repeat what other people tells them, they have to so their facts can be checked. Most often it is some stupid salesman or economist that gets the job of talking to the journalist.
Skilled engineers seldom bothers to talk to a journalist as they know they wouldn't understand and get it all wrong.

So all things considered I think we'll just have to settle with the stupid numbers.
If I was forced to buy a 4x4 from the motor press numbers, i would buy the one with lowest top speed as that must be the one with low gears :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2019 12:32 by yakuza.

More
10 Mar 2019 14:06 #204386 by saxj
Replied by saxj on topic torque to weight ratio?
Regardless of what the numbers say, a standard Jimny will out do any other standard 4x4 off-road.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2019 14:21 - 10 Mar 2019 14:21 #204388 by Andy2640

yakuza wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: Nice info guys, appreciated!

Cheers.

Hmm.. Torque and power are measurements and physical facts of the car, they are not fake news from facebook. There is no conspiracy here :)
Figures could sometimes be a bit tweaked by the sales people like the emissions on german cars, but in general they are accurate enough to give an impression of the performance.
However they do not say much about the driving and how the car performs in everyday use. That is more up to taste and what you are used to. Most driving tests do not appreciate that a ladder frame 4x4 with rigid axles is a very different car than a hot hatch.

Most journalists have little knowledge so they will tend to embrace the numbers and figures to have an easier work day. And if they can they will repeat what other people tells them, they have to so their facts can be checked. Most often it is some stupid salesman or economist that gets the job of talking to the journalist.
Skilled engineers seldom bothers to talk to a journalist as they know they wouldn't understand and get it all wrong.

So all things considered I think we'll just have to settle with the stupid numbers.
If I was forced to buy a 4x4 from the motor press numbers, i would buy the one with lowest top speed as that must be the one with low gears :)[/quo

I Didn't state that they were fake news'ing the torque to weight numbers, that would clearly be impossible, even by their own standards.
Just stating that the majority of the MSM are not reliable sources of information. I wont state the reasons, they are vast ;-)

Last edit: 10 Mar 2019 14:21 by Andy2640.

More
10 Mar 2019 15:41 #204396 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic torque to weight ratio?
I think reviews and figures quoted by the motoring press are for the most part accurate. We need to remember that our beloved Jimny (of any generation) is an old design that can be traced back to the Willy,'s jeep, maybe even further. The design provides for a formidable off road machine, but on road the same design limits it's performance.
By modern road car standards it's slow, uneconomical, not particularly safe (ncap), does not handle the road well, can't carry much and it's noisy.
It's a fact, you can get a much better road car for a lot less money.
The fact it will go off road is not important to most, the worst it will see is a few snow covered roads. So I understand why the press reviews will generally show it with a low to middle rating, it reflects that for everyday use you can get better.
But as you say it's not the complete picture, the very things that make it bad can also give it a soul and make it enjoyable to drive. I swapped an economical, safe, superb handling, highly equipped and quite vehicle for my Jimny. Why? it's was so good it was boring to live with day to day.
I love driving and owning my Jimny, but on paper it should not be on my drive.
So forget the Journalist, they are missing the point.:laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Mar 2019 16:50 #204401 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic torque to weight ratio?
Sorry peeps but I'm not sure if I recognise the description of the driving dynamics of Jimny being bandied about here. Zebedee is a completely stock Jimny vvt auto 1.3. He isn't quite as quick off the mark as Ermintrude but how could he be. What he is though is every bit as capable of making decent cross country progress as any other vehicle in general British driving conditions ie traffic. He is never at the front of a queue of cars unless he has just overtaken the slow one and is pulling away. He can easily hold a line on corners at the speed limit etc etc. Yes on a deserted A road there's enough cars that can go faster but in all honesty when was the last time that ever happened? And then there's Ermintrude. A few Gucci parts and... "See ya!" It's rare that a well driven Jimny is out of it's depth on any surface. Most drivers on the other hand.....?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds