BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Steering boxes

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 18:56 #204201 by Mole
Steering boxes was created by Mole
As titled I can't get rid of the play In the steering box so have decided to replace it my question is are they all the same or do the differ with different jimny models?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2019 19:00 #204202 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Steering boxes
I think they are the same across the range, I have seen a guy offering rebuilt units on Ebay, £170ish if my memory serves.....

sniper

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 19:10 - 06 Mar 2019 19:11 #204203 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Steering boxes
Yeah that's about right I have toyed with just a second hand one there is a 2010 one for £50 mine is a 2002. iv adjusted mine right up but is just tight with play
Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 19:11 by Mole.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Mar 2019 19:55 #204207 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Steering boxes
As far as I am aware the only difference is between power and none power steering but both types are the same throughout the gen3 models.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mole

More
07 Mar 2019 06:26 #204226 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Steering boxes
Have you tried to adjust it properly? When I did mine I overtightened it to start with and had to back it off. So I doubt you need a new box. There will always be some play as is the nature of steering boxes.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Mar 2019 06:48 #204228 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Steering boxes
Is the box servicable?
Original parts available?

My experience with these is that when you start to adjust it will not get better. my car has 112000km on it and i do not like the play in the box. have had to tighten it two times, first at around 95000km and last time at 105000km.
Think it was the same on the SJ and after a couple of tightenings it gets tight at full left/right when it you have removed the play at straight.
Gets worse faster with bigger tires and wobble of course.

When changing the steering box for my SJ I thought i'd pop the lid on the ones I had in stock and look at the inside. I think there was rusty water inside 3 of 5 boxes. This is better with the servo assisted ones as the hot oil from the pump and reservoir will evaporate any condensation.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2019 09:47 #204232 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Steering boxes
When I first got my jim it play was almost undrivable so I adjusted it after asking people's advice and it worked a treat but it crept back and now won't go all I can get is a stiff wheel with play so in the end I tool a chance on the cheaper one and if I can service the old one then will keep it as a back up or pass it on to another owner

More
07 Mar 2019 21:57 #204280 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Steering boxes
There's a few Jimny's being broken to get a good second hand one if it is that bad but find the official instructions on how to set it up first as it's not straight forward I seem to recall.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
08 Mar 2019 07:01 #204295 by j999pre
Replied by j999pre on topic Steering boxes
There are different ones. The pipe locations changed slightly.

I have used steering boxes available

Gold Jimny the best colour (sold) :(

Big red Jimny 32" tyres, arbs, cage 5:1 transfer etc. (Sold)

Grey pick up Jimny
Turbo m13a, arbs, floating rear shafts, disc conversion rear, vented front conversion. 245 70 16. Winch, 3" lift, 4:16 trans hd shafts and CVS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• muto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2019 12:31 #204381 by muto
Replied by muto on topic Steering boxes
would it be easy to replace the steering box oil? I have a Jimny without power steering. The box seems to be in quite good condition for the mileage it has seen(280tkm). Maybe little less than one cm lack when the tires are straight.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds