BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

What plans do you have for your Gen4?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2019 14:07 #203886 by Andy2640
What plans do you have for your Gen4? was created by Andy2640
Hello Fellow Jimny lovers,

I've come into some spare cash lately, which is unusual for me. I also have some time on my hands due to work changes, so i thought i be nosey and ask the following...... hahaha.

I have plans for my Jimny (or rather my renamed samurai V4) and was interested in what you lovely lot are planning to do to your own Jimny. I've seen a few of you add some lovely little bits ( Wheel covers, Roof racks, Up-rated bulbs, Camera's both front and rear, Front Grills, Tyres etc.

I Thought i'd share my own "want" list, whilst cautiously being aware that extra weight is not ideal fro a stock Jimny, or i suppose any 4x4 really. . So it's a tugg-of-war between what i actually need and would use, whats just cosmetic and vein, whats feasible in terms of adding weight, and whats downright over-kill in an attempt to be my former 10 yr old self again, but this time with real tonker trucks ;-)

An example of this kinda thing..... would be the official suzuki front silver bumper garnish (Hhahahaa Garnish). It looks bling, goes well with black and blue jims IMO, but decreases approach angle, so i'm choosing carefully depending on the intended use. Anyways here's mine:

Front winch - (Axon Warn winch bolt on) - (Thought i'd start off with the most extravagant) I'm in the mind-set of being like a modern day prepper. He knows he wont need a crossbow, canoe, tent, and thermal imaging equipment in his daily life, but at the same time realising that, if the worst did ever happen, he will be at least be prepared for the very worst. = Remember my tonker toys? :-)

Roof rack

Wheel cover (fabric) or the one like Gadgets, not sure yet.

Wind deflectors on front windows.

Would like side skirts, but not sure about the official suzi garnish variety. I Like the side/skid rails, but again.... weight makes me think twice and so far the ones ive seen lower the vehicles clearance ability.

Skid plates on diffs and possible gear box.

Reverse camera.

Up-rated Reverse bulbs.

Rubber boot liner.

Possibly a minimum lift kit (as sold by Martin in jimny shop)

Front car cam.

General grabbers AT2's, Toyo open country or the geolanders in - 215/75/15.

A tilt angle device on the dash. (I think these are great, especially if you know the approx tip over angle.

Upgraded speakers, front and rear.

Anyways I Would love to see your list of "wants" guys and gals.

Hope you dont think i'm too materialistic lol. I just love this new Jimny and i really enjoy thinking about the cars potential.

Cheers everyone,

Andy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2019 18:57 #203894 by reedx
Being practical, I'd like to improve the internal storage and am looking forward to seeing what Paranoid Industries have in the pipeline. Other than that, wind deflectors and rear privacy film (SZ4). I'm just going to enjoy the vehicle for what it is and upgrade things as they need replacing.

Colin

More
27 Feb 2019 20:27 - 27 Feb 2019 20:29 #203902 by Gadget
Only things left on my list are:

- wrapping the spare wheel cover to de-chrome
- installing rear speakers
- buying roofbars so that I can fit my roofbox if needed (probably Thule squarebars)

I love the idea of having a winch, but I know that I would never, ever use it!
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 20:29 by Gadget.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Feb 2019 20:30 #203904 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
You know you want a winch Gadget! ;-)

More
27 Feb 2019 21:50 #203907 by Soeley
  • Reversing camera (arrived today)
  • Wind deflectors
  • Spot lamps (Cibbie Oscars or KC Daylighhters)
  • Underneath protection (I'll start with diff guards)
  • Recovery points

• And if I get the real off roading bug

• Rock sliders
  • Winch
  • Would love a full metal front winch bumper like the one I saw for the Gen3 at Stafford

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
28 Feb 2019 05:04 #203917 by Lambert
If as is suspected the axles are just slightly longer than the gen3 then I doubt that there's a serious need for diff guards until you are hammering round quarries doing comp safaris every weekend. Even if you are there's other things to protect first. It's not a live axle land rover so doesn't need protection from pebbles.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
28 Feb 2019 07:51 #203925 by Soeley
What should be protected first then. I just thought the diffs looked most vulnerable?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 08:15 - 28 Feb 2019 09:00 #203927 by Lambert
If it's anything like the gen3 then the most vulnerable bits are the protrusion of the transfer box and more importantly the aluminiumiumiumiumiumium castings that mount it to the frame. After that the lower damper mounts can take damage as they are only pressed steel, same with the radius arm mounts to the frame they can be bent quite easily. It's also not unusual for the axle to radius arms bracket holes to become ovals. Obviously this depends on what you are doing with the car and how much mechanical sympathy you possess. Other than the transfer box mounts on Ermintrude being steel I haven't damaged any of the above items and I off road every day only quite gently. Others who only go off road at a quarry every couple of months can smash stuff to bits in a day. The thing is that you have to weigh the protection of the guards against the potential reduction in clearance, additional cost, additional weight and the additional difficulty in cleaning the underneath to prevent corrosion. In my 90 I had diff guards and then had to have the diff pans replaced because of the trapped mud rusting them through!

Last edit: 28 Feb 2019 09:00 by Lambert.

More
28 Feb 2019 08:26 #203928 by Soeley
Thanks for in info, I still need to get underneath and have a proper look. All very different to a std fwd car.

• JimJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2019 10:11 #203930 by JimJimny
Replied by JimJimny on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
What's the general opinion on whether to consider having the underside/cavities Dinitrol'd right from the start? Been wondering about taking my Gen4 straight from the Dealer, when I collect it, for a treatment.

As an MX5 driver, I'm already wary of how vulnerable Japanese cars can be to corrosion from British road conditions. Fortunately the '5 only ever ventures out of it's garage when it's a 'top-down day' (like we've been having recently), but never when there's even a slight sprinkling of salt still about on the roads. As the Jimny is going to be used especially when the weather is bad, it's going to get regular exposure to a whole cocktail of harsher stuff. Any thoughts on the virtues, or otherwise, of underseal protection?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
28 Feb 2019 10:43 #203933 by Lambert
I waxoyled mine from collection and with a bit of yearly maintenance it was only last year at a total of 8 years that I took the silly jetwash to it and properly reapplied it. Couple of bits were a little bit of surface rust but 95pc was perfect. Well worth the effort.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2019 11:25 #203934 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic What plans do you have for your Gen4?
Some great advice here, appreciated.

Regarding the under body wax protection I'm sure i read Martin Milnes (forum owner) .... say that the new Jimny's dont require treatment because they have some sort of procedure done to them at the factory already. Hopefully he may chip in. I could be wrong though, but im sure i heard this.

If it turns out that it would be beneficial, it would certainly be first on my list of essentials.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds