BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Auto VS. Manual

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2019 13:09 #203318 by Andy2640
Auto VS. Manual was created by Andy2640
Hi guys,

Just considering if I would be tempted by going down the auto route. However some things baffle me as to the operation of the two. Hoping to get some user feedback on the following questions:

1. Does it have the same top speed as a manual.
2. Does the Auto rev higher at say 70mph as opposed to 70mph in the manual.
3. How does hill decent work in auto. Because the manual from what ive seen so far can be selected in either 1st, 2nd or 3rd (which alters decent speed). But how do you alter the descent speed in the auto.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer my ponderings.

Cheers,
Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andyhereford
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2019 14:56 #203324 by Andyhereford
Replied by Andyhereford on topic Auto VS. Manual
I am certainly no expert having only just got an automatic Jimny...the first automatic car that I have ever driven. As a road car I find it really excellent...I believe from reading messages on BigJimny that they are pretty good off road as well.
To try to answer you three questions however...I am sure that you will get more expert comments from others...
The top speed of my Jimny ..03 / 77,000 ..is about 60 mph. I can’t get any more and that and wouldn’t really want to if I could.
At 50 mph , when not under acceleration, it revs at about at about 2,300 which seems about right to me for a petrol engine
When coming down a hill I use the brake pedal to reduce the speed and the revs then adjust / reduce . It then seems to hold the reduce speed presumably the automatic gear box / engine acting as a brake.
As I say hopefully you will get replies from experts but it all seems to work for me.
A brilliant little car which has brought back some fun in motoring after 45 years of driving.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2019 16:16 #203325 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Auto VS. Manual
Having both in gen3 I would say that the auto is a less frantic experience if it is a little bit slower but every bit as capable. Off road it is possible to limit the box changing gear to aid controlled progress so generally they are different but the same and it's personal preference for which you want.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2019 18:19 #203329 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Auto VS. Manual
Hi I have a 2013 15000 miles on it and it’s great will sit at 70mpg prefer auto as all our cars are auto off road I find the auto is more controllable only thing I don’t like is it does not change into 4th until something not sure what reaches temperature .

More
16 Feb 2019 18:31 - 16 Feb 2019 18:31 #203330 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Auto VS. Manual
Gen4 auto should be good for 85mph ish, I've had mine at 75 with no bother. 60mph equals about 2800rpm, 70mph 3400rpm, which I think is comparable to the manual.

The auto box likes to change up early, which doesn't equate to making brisk progress unless you make it kick down and then it all gets a bit noisy. It won't lock up into overdrive (4th) when cold, so the first 5 mins of driving can be a bit shouty if you're straight onto a fast road.

Around town it's great, lovely and smooth like a slush box should be. Not sure it suits the character of the car as well as the manual and I do find myself hankering for a bit more oomph, but the laziness factor makes up for it. If someone released a supercharger kit, I'd be all over it :)

No idea how the hill descent works with it, I'd assume you just lock the box into 2 or L to get the lower gearing.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2019 18:31 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Cremator1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2019 18:34 #203331 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Auto VS. Manual
Yes that’s trouble with mine I am straight out on to a fast rd so takes time to change to 4th

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2019 09:21 #203340 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Auto VS. Manual

Andyhereford wrote: I am certainly no expert having only just got an automatic Jimny...the first automatic car that I have ever driven. As a road car I find it really excellent...I believe from reading messages on BigJimny that they are pretty good off road as well.
To try to answer you three questions however...I am sure that you will get more expert comments from others...
The top speed of my Jimny ..03 / 77,000 ..is about 60 mph. I can’t get any more and that and wouldn’t really want to if I could.
At 50 mph , when not under acceleration, it revs at about at about 2,300 which seems about right to me for a petrol engine
When coming down a hill I use the brake pedal to reduce the speed and the revs then adjust / reduce . It then seems to hold the reduce speed presumably the automatic gear box / engine acting as a brake.
As I say hopefully you will get replies from experts but it all seems to work for me.
A brilliant little car which has brought back some fun in motoring after 45 years of driving.

Thank you Andy.

Sounds like your really happy with your auto. One thing that caught my attention, is what you said regarding braking to adjust the descent speed. If your on a mega steep slope, wouldn't using the brakes manually increase the likelihood of a skid and potential loss of control? Seems like it defeats the purpose of descent control.

Cheers buddy.

Andy.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2019 09:27 - 17 Feb 2019 09:29 #203341 by Andy2640

GeorgeC wrote: While getting ready for my first real drive on Monday Morning, I sat on the porch (30C) and read some of the operations manual.

The hill descent feature works on the auto, in the lower gears. It seems to use the Electronic Braking System.

More on the operations manual, if only they supplied it in Right Hand Drive, A4 format and Large Print!

Yes your right, it machine guns the brakes, as shown in this video. I like this video because it shows in car footage of changing from 4 high to 4 low and you get the sounds and everything. In this video, he explains that he just bangs it in 1st or 2nd, lets off the gas and it just rolls down the hill electronically gunning the brakes automatically and preventing any skid, whilst holding a speed with no slip of wheels. But in an auto and from what others have said, it requires application of brake on the descent to set the speed, but that surely defeats the purpose??

Last edit: 17 Feb 2019 09:29 by Andy2640.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Feb 2019 09:44 #203342 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Auto VS. Manual
Some of my land is sufficiently steep you're reduced to scrabbling up it with your hands or indeed sliding down on your face but in all but the wettest conditions both my manual and auto gen3 go up or down on road tyres without any dramas. Low range 2nd cover the brake and off you go. If it slides accelerating into it to regain traction and slow it back down again. That's without a computer. Hdc will only improve the ability.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2019 09:57 #203343 by Andy2640
Must be great having your own land to play on. I'd be out there right now doing tests of all sorts ;-) I'd probably end up tipping the thing. I have a few farms i'm allowed to go to for metal detecting. Ive become very friendly with the farmers around Nuneaton (through alcoholic Christmas gifts and the odd silver hammered penny found on their land). I'm gonna take the jimny round when i get her and hopefully go on a bit of a outing around the fields and paddocks etc.

Farmers are always shocked and surprised how many quality coins, rings, silver buttons, pins and badges etc.... are under their land. I sold a years coins i found last month, and raised over a grand. Best hobby going it is.

Anyways, yeah must be great.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds