BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Rev counter tach signal

More
06 Feb 2019 18:27 #202693 by Jefferies
Hi guys,

Although this subject seems to have come up a number of times around the world i can't make sense of it in my case.

I'm converting my 2000MY jimny to an isuzu diesel but i want the rev counter to work. I need to install a trigger wheel on my front pulley (of the isuzu engine) but what i don't know is whether the Jimny's ECU takes it's speed signal from the crank or the cam. I have identified a branch on the engine harness that corresponds to the colours of the crank sensor (CKP) wires in the manual, but the position of the connector would suggest that it is placed up near the back of the camshaft. There is no wiring for a cam sensor or indeed any mention of a cam sensor in my manual.

BUT apparently some jimnys only use a cam sensor and no crank sensor, and i have also read that jimny's use the cam sensor for their rev counter anyway.

Can anybody who has already done it categorically tell me whether i need to buy a crank or cam sensor to get up and running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Feb 2019 18:32 #202695 by Lambert
Haven't got a clue. But someone else will I'm sure.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Feb 2019 19:10 #202699 by Rhinoman
If you recheck the FSM you will probably find that the CKP on earlier models was actually the cam sensor. Then they fitted a sensor on the crank which then became the CKP and the sensor on the cam was renamed CMP .

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

More
19 Feb 2019 21:39 #203495 by Jefferies
Ah ok, that confirms it then. Thanks

More
19 Feb 2019 21:42 #203496 by Jefferies
I don't suppose anybody has a camshaft trigger wheel they don't want.

More
20 Feb 2019 17:57 #203559 by Keithy
What does the Isuzu have for a tach signal?

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds