BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny snow performance

• einhorn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2019 17:30 #202564 by einhorn
Replied by einhorn on topic Jimny snow performance
Dear All,
Wow many thanks for all your interesting and helpful replies.Certainly food for thought and so many replies need digesting and re reading.

Although now retired we can more or less choose when we go out so different to when we were working folk. However we are down a long drive coming off a country lane which in the past just about takes one of those monster tractor mounted snow ploughs.This lane has a slope which is barely noticable in normal times but with snow/ice it can be a bit of a pig. However dont really like to rely on overstretched farmers especially during an extended snow event even though they plough the lane

. So its probably the section of drive that given 1963 conditions or similar would crease us. I do have a BCS Power Scythe and there is the option of a snow plough attachment so I may be better off clearing the snow from the drive with that rather than rely on (only our infrequent vehicle movements) passing and re passing to consolidate the snow. You probably have guessed that I am in no way willing to manually clear the drive although have done in the past.

I found driving the Swift 4 x 4 in snow recently okay but its more when and with what to replace the wifes Yaris. Some years ago before getting the Swift drove the Fiat Panda 4 x 4. In many ways I Iiked it although found it pretty uncomfortable compared to the Swift. Also this thing of the engine switching off every time you pull up did my head in. So guess continue to keep looking.

Thanks again for all your help.

All best,

Frank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2019 12:51 #202613 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Jimny snow performance
Snow is fun in a jimny :)
Had to use lockers for this one though. Snow was like sugar, no grip at all.
Without lockers engaged, the axles tend to bounce alot in deep snow.. Most likely due to varying grip between wheels, unloading diff side to side.
Lockers calms everything down, and makes things easy..

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Feb 2019 12:53 #202614 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny snow performance
Nice!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Feb 2019 19:49 #202635 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Jimny snow performance
Interesting read... Not sure I agree about selecting low ratio in the snow though as a higher gear gives less chance of wheels spin, and the auto idea in snow is not that great as harder to control the moment the tyres start rotating..
Saying that, would love an auto for offroading as there are advantages, but a 4 speed auto jimny would be far too lacklustre .
Put a set of insa muds on your jimny and in 2wd in the snow its amazing what it can do. Its not easy to slide it, and when you do its so easy to get it back under control...
Here in Portsmouth we saw a little snow, but it didn't lay and was gone in the morning :(

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Feb 2019 05:17 #202655 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Jimny snow performance

rappey wrote: Interesting read... Not sure I agree about selecting low ratio in the snow though as a higher gear gives less chance of wheels spin, and the auto idea in snow is not that great as harder to control the moment the tyres start rotating..
Saying that, would love an auto for offroading as there are advantages, but a 4 speed auto jimny would be far too lacklustre .
Put a set of insa muds on your jimny and in 2wd in the snow its amazing what it can do. Its not easy to slide it, and when you do its so easy to get it back under control...
Here in Portsmouth we saw a little snow, but it didn't lay and was gone in the morning :(

I can see i didnt explain well enough regarding low range :) It`s just a spesific spproach that helps in rare extreme situations..

When you go through _really_ deep snow, where you have no other choice than to get on top of the snow to avoid hanging on the frame, it`s often necessary to lower tire pressure _alot_ , and go as slow as possible. Preferably with lockers, if you got them. And the bigger tires you got, the better. In combination, it lowers ground pressure.
Going slow gives tires time to pack snow in front of them alot better, and by that keeps the car high up in the snow. Avoiding wheel spin is crucial in these situations.
There`s a reason the Icland guys often have a second gearbox for crazy low range..

In normal snow situations, where you can find some traction through the snow, high range and open the throttle some is the way to go!
This is the conditions where 99% of us see, i just wanted to explain that there are situations than demands a more tactical approach as well :)

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2019 19:32 #202753 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Jimny snow performance
guess that makes sense @ OlaGB :)

More
07 Feb 2019 20:08 #202762 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Jimny snow performance
I had to use low range when I was pulling cars, 4x4s and vans out of the snow drifts we had last March but that was largely because the BFG Muds were digging down through the snow and getting grip on the tarmac below, where vehicles with less aggressive tyres were just spinning on the snow.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds