BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jul 2019 21:29 #211336 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Scimike wrote: With the exception of the steering damper nothing has changed to make the G4 less susceptible to death wobble. It's an inherent issue with all solid front axle vehicles, any make, not just Suzuki. A new vehicle will not suffer, but as steering components wear then it possibility of wobble increases. The damper will assist to mask the problem, but eventually even the damper will not cover shot kingpin bearings etc.
Don't get hung up on the possibility though, just maintain the vehicle and enjoy.

This death wobble thing. If it did happen, is it something that cam be fixed eadily? Or is it summit that costs an arm n a leg to fix? Hope this wobble thing dont spoil what is so far my perfect 4x4.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jul 2019 04:48 #211341 by Lambert
Once you have done a set of kingpin bearings once you are looking at about an hour or so a side. It's a messy job not a difficult one.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• MrPaynterZA
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2019 16:49 #211364 by MrPaynterZA
Replied by MrPaynterZA on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
So 7 months and 7000kms later, I have absolutely zero complaints but I may be one of the first to ding my 2019!

I opened our waist-high garden gates and as I reversed one swung back, denting the passenger door and more interestingly broke the black plastic sill skirting on the bottom of that side. It didn't crack the skirting but broke the mounting 'bracket' portion of the skirting off clean on a light impact.

It's insured and the admin was sorted quickly which is great but it was pretty heart-breaking.

I was concerned with new cars being scarce, that parts may be too, but it was just less then 4 weeks, (which is far from ideal) and the car was very drivable so it wasn't the end of the world.

More
22 Jul 2019 22:06 #211413 by Bob1050

MrPaynterZA wrote: So 7 months and 7000kms later, I have absolutely zero complaints but I may be one of the first to ding my 2019!

I opened our waist-high garden gates and as I reversed one swung back, denting the passenger door and more interestingly broke the black plastic sill skirting on the bottom of that side. It didn't crack the skirting but broke the mounting 'bracket' portion of the skirting off clean on a light impact.

It's insured and the admin was sorted quickly which is great but it was pretty heart-breaking.

I was concerned with new cars being scarce, that parts may be too, but it was just less then 4 weeks, (which is far from ideal) and the car was very drivable so it wasn't the end of the world.

Disappointing that you've had to face such a problem - good news is that a solution was quickly available. I had wondered myself if parts are on a 6 months back order - seeing as a new vehicle can allegedly take up to 2 years.

More
13 Aug 2019 21:38 #212076 by Bob1050
Another milestone in 2019 Jimny ownership - Odometer has clocked 8000 miles. Once again a rather dull report to file on the forum. Zero bits have failed or fallen off. The Jimny hasn't had to be rescued nor has a warranty claim been pursued. I just drive it and it puts a big silly grin on my face.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Aug 2019 04:02 #212077 by Lambert
You really do have very low expectations of reliability from a new vehicle don't you? It's a Japanese built car it's not going to start failing anytime soon.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Aug 2019 15:32 - 14 Aug 2019 15:37 #212089 by Gadget
He might have owned a Land Rover beforehand, they are usually supplied pre-broken :laugh:

I've racked up the best part of 1000 miles over the last week, first on a long motorway slog to North Wales and then zooming around Snowdonia with one quick green lane for good measure.

It's bloody brilliant. Motorway journey was in high winds, with a roofbox fitted, which made things a bit wobbly at times, but it held a steady 60mph the whole way with zero fuss.

It feels tailor made for the roads around Snowdonia, nice and narrow with plenty of body roll to make things feel fun while still doing a sensible speed.

Things I discovered are:

With a roofbox there's plenty of room for a family of three to take everything needed for a week in a holiday cottage. Heavy stuff secured inside the car with cargo nets, with one rear seat folded flat and lighter stuff in the roofbox. The height on the interior means that you can stack a lot of stuff provided you lash it down well.

The autobox can make things feel a bit of a struggle when hitting upward inclines at low speed, but otherwise has been a hoot to drive.

You really appreciate little things, like the size of the side mirrors, which are the best I've ever had in a car. The windscreen washer tank seems massive too, which is useful with the filthy weather we've been having. It's also really easy to see the coolant level when doing pre-trip checks.

Economy wasn't great when fully loaded with bars and roofbox fitted, probably averaged about 35mpg, however with them removed we've been getting about 38mpg around the lanes, which I'm really happy with. The small tank does make it feel like the Jimny is on weight watchers, as you tend to fill up little and often!

One short green lane was fun, with a very high rock step that made my wife panic and me wince a bit, but it just casually crawled up and over without grounding anywhere. Having an auto really does let you approach obstacles gently with zero wheelspin, minimal noise and no damage to the track.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2019 15:37 by Gadget.

More
14 Aug 2019 21:44 #212104 by Bob1050

Lambert wrote: You really do have very low expectations of reliability from a new vehicle don't you? It's a Japanese built car it's not going to start failing anytime soon.

As someone who has bought a lot of new vehicles, I'm very aware of design, manufacturing, assembly and operational problems/faults from many of the well-known brands. The Suzuki Jimny has exceeded my expectations - as I can usually find a 'non-conformance' or defect with just about any new vehicle. To date my biggest gripe is with the thin material of the rubber floor mats which just aren't very robust for those of us who wear work boots. So not so much a revelation low expectations - more someone who is delighted with the Jimny.

More
14 Aug 2019 21:52 #212105 by Bob1050

Gadget wrote: He might have owned a Land Rover beforehand, they are usually supplied pre-broken :laugh:

I will resist rising to the bait - but let's put it this way I bought a new Land Rover and I will never buy another one. The Jimny is my first Suzuki and to date I'm more than impressed with the quality and capability.

• Slaguru
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2019 11:46 #212123 by Slaguru
Replied by Slaguru on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Hmmm

Gadget wrote: He might have owned a Land Rover beforehand, they are usually supplied pre-broken

As much as I love my new Jimny and its build quality is great, I don't think the LR baiting is all justified.

My Disco 4 LRSV has covered 60k of very hard terrain and only needed regular servicing and tires. It had a new rear tailgate switch as well after one of my dogs chewed the switch out.

Obviously, love my LR as well !!!

More
15 Aug 2019 17:00 #212128 by Gadget
Not intended as bait at all, just a throwaway comment based on the poor reputation that JLR have for reliability, while Suzuki tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to reliability surveys.

I used to own a Series 2A and Landys are my first love when it comes to cars, but since they discontinued the Defender I'm completely uninterested in their remaining models.

More
15 Aug 2019 22:08 #212146 by Bob1050

Gadget wrote: Not intended as bait at all, just a throwaway comment based on the poor reputation that JLR have for reliability, while Suzuki tend to be at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to reliability surveys.

I used to own a Series 2A and Landys are my first love when it comes to cars, but since they discontinued the Defender I'm completely uninterested in their remaining models.

My purchase and running of a brand new 2019 Suzuki Jimny and at the time, a brand new 2014 Land Rover Defender revealed a monumental chasm of difference in ownership experience. To date, the Suzuki has been exemplary in terms of reliability and I just don't have to plan my working week around warranty claims, loan cars, components failing and dealership frustration. There's a very good reason that the farming community have been moving away from Land Rover products (even with the NFU discount).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds