BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyre Sealant

More
30 Dec 2018 16:00 #199718 by NelsonB
Tyre Sealant was created by NelsonB
Hi everyone!

Does anybody have experience with tyre sealants, like the Air-Seal? Did it work properly with low pressure, like 10 psi (sand tracks)? Did not clog the tyre valve?

regards,

Nelson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2018 18:44 - 30 Dec 2018 18:48 #199733 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tyre Sealant
No experience directly of AirSeal products, but I have used Slime and Stans in my job as a cycle mech. The tyre sealants I use both act to reduce punctures in that if the tyre or tube is damaged the sealant solution is forced out by tyre pressure at which point they congeal sealing the air leak. The slime product can contain larger leaks due to fibrous material within the solution, Stans is more liquid (like milk).
That is the only similarity, after this both products have different functions.

Stans being very liquid is used to seal tubeless bike tyres onto the tubeless rim. This allows the rider to run the tyres at reduced pressure off road, but it is important to note that the tyre and rim are both designed for tubeless application. As such the tyre is held tight on the rim and will not easily break the bead at low pressures or indeed with no air in it.

Slime is used in tubed tyres (cycle) and some automotive tubeless applications. It is used to seal the leak of a puncture in a correctly inflated tyre. In these cases the tyre is not held tight on the rim and at low pressures the tyre could "roll off the rim".

So within the cycling world we only run reduced pressure with rims / tyres designed for tubeless operation with Stans (or similar).

I guess this is no help at all, but it keeps the thread at the top for longer.

Oh and yes the can clog up the valve, but you can reduce this by only inflating the tyre with the valve between 9 and 3 o'clock. Inflation with the valve at the bottom of the tyre will blow the solution through the valve as you connect the pump.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 30 Dec 2018 18:48 by Scimike.

More
30 Dec 2018 23:10 #199743 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tyre Sealant
We use a product called Oko in agricultural tyres. It's great for getting a bit of extra life out of tyres that are riddled with punctures, but on higher speed applications like car tyres it can cause wheel balance issues, which I imagine would be quite exaggerated on a Jimny. I certainly wouldn't put it in a tyre unless I had a puncture I couldn't fix.
Never had any problems with it clogging the valve. Obviously you remove the valve core to put it in the tyre, but once it's in there you can inflate and deflate as normal. I can't see any problems using it at 10psi, but then I can't see any benefit either unless, like I say, you are having problems with lots of punctures. But I run BFGoodrich tyres and punctures are very very rare.

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2018 00:07 #199744 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Tyre Sealant
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI've had a 'stop-n-go' kit in the boot of my other car for possibly 5 years now and used it only once on my sons Celica.

Whether it would work on A/T tyres i couldn't say but on ordinary road tyres it does the job.

More
31 Dec 2018 01:34 #199746 by NelsonB
Replied by NelsonB on topic Tyre Sealant
I run BFG ATs, but I am starting to have punctures, with fence nails. Some times we have then near beaches, when use very low tyre pressures.....afraid the gel could leak by the rim side.....

More
31 Dec 2018 08:56 #199753 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tyre Sealant
For punctures with nails a Slime type product would help but in a tyre with low pressure its function will be reduced.

www.slime.com/uk/products/lawn-garden/sealants/tire-sealant.php

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

More
31 Dec 2018 09:23 #199757 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Tyre Sealant

NelsonB wrote: I run BFG ATs, but I am starting to have punctures, with fence nails. Some times we have then near beaches, when use very low tyre pressures.....afraid the gel could leak by the rim side.....

If you're not having problems with air leaking out of the rim now I don't see how tyre slime would leak there. It normally only works in the tread area anyway, as there is not enough in the tyre to reach up the sidewalls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NelsonB

More
31 Dec 2018 11:23 #199769 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tyre Sealant
I'm no expert but wouldn't you benefit better with inner tubes for low tyre pressure

More
31 Dec 2018 14:36 #199781 by NelsonB
tks jakonlyjack, low tyre pressure is not the motif, just one circunstance where my tyres usually fnd nails.....

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2018 19:39 - 31 Dec 2018 19:40 #199794 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Tyre Sealant
I have found these good in the past probably used about four times on various vehicles, but I'm guessing your looking for a self seal repair?

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Dec 2018 19:40 by Daniel30.

More
19 May 2019 21:24 #208443 by NelsonB
Yes, other very convenient functon of tyre sealant is to avoid to stop in dangerous places to change a Tyre.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kirkynut

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds