BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New member / new keeper.

• BaldyOldTroll
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Dec 2018 19:39 #199507 by BaldyOldTroll
New member / new keeper. was created by BaldyOldTroll
Hi all, I've just joined as I'm going to be picking up a Jimny on Sat morning and know nothing about them. The car has been gifted to my daughter by a friend who's leaving the country, slight problem being she doesn't have a licence or any where to store it, so I've got a four hour bus journey on Sat to go pick the car up and bring it back to mine, 120 miles away! I haven't even seen this car so I have no idea what I've let myself in for. Is there anything I need to look out for handling wise, I'm used to driving Jeeps and vans so I don't expect a sports car, but I've memories of my SJ 410 happily swapping ends with little provocation. I'll no doubt be looking for wisdom as I go through the car and make sure it's ready for her when she passes her test.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2018 21:07 - 27 Dec 2018 21:08 #199511 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New member / new keeper.
Hello and welcome.
The Jimny is not a fast car and its handling is typical of any 4x4 type vehicle with solid axles. As you have had a Jeep in the past I am sure nothing is going to surprise you.
Just bimble along at 50mph and enjoy:laugh:
Things to watch out for until you have a few miles (and depends on vehicle condition )-
- Dont wear boots, the pedals are typically Jap and small.
- The brakes can feel a little soft compared to modern cars, keep your distance.
- You may get "death wobble" at 45mph or if you hit a bump in the road. Drive through it or slow down, but its is simply a feature of worn steering preload, nothing to worry about.
- They handle better than you first think, no real problems so long as you dont push it.
- They are great fun to drive, so enjoy.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 27 Dec 2018 21:08 by Scimike.

More
28 Dec 2018 01:02 - 28 Dec 2018 01:03 #199518 by Max Headroom
Welcome to the forum and greetings from the Cotswold Hills!

I'll second everything Scmike has said.
I'd only add to that before driving off it might be prudent to check the tyres for correct pressures as garages (assuming a garage serviced it) are known to over-inflate them - my neighbour has almost been off the road (unintentionally) on more than one occasion due to her local garage inflating them as if they were low-profiles. The garage has since been "educated"
Off the top of my head, and assuming standard size tyres, I think they should be about 23psi front and 25psi on the rear (someone correct me if this is wrong) They should certainly not be anything like 35psi!!

On a badly uneven or bumpy road it will leap around all over the show - its fine (and fun) if you are prepared :)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 01:03 by Max Headroom.

• BaldyOldTroll
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 01:05 #199519 by BaldyOldTroll
Replied by BaldyOldTroll on topic New member / new keeper.
Thanks for the reply, death wobble sounds like fun, 100 miles of the journey is single carriageway and single track so I'll get a good feel for it. The tip about boots is great, I usually always wear boots, so trainers on Sat, thanks.

• BaldyOldTroll
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 01:13 #199521 by BaldyOldTroll
Thanks for the tyre pressure tip, I've a feeling the tyres aren't too good, I'm going to take a gear bag with my 12v compressor, breaker bar and a socket for the wheel nuts/bolts, don't know the size off the top of your head by any chance do you? I live 20 miles past nowhere so I'll be lugging a load of gear with me, need to be able to look after yourself on these roads, no mobile signal in a lot of places.

More
28 Dec 2018 01:30 - 28 Dec 2018 01:35 #199522 by Max Headroom
I THINK they're a 19mm socket. I'm certain on my alloy wheels they are - I imagine it would still be 19mm on steel wheels (and I'm assuming all standard set-up here)
If you're expecting you might have a wheel/tyre drama make sure you have the locking wheel nut tool and that the spare can be removed. Someone here had a real PIA of a job because their spare couldn't be removed off the carrier!

When I picked up my Jimny I initially thought the tyres looked alright - but didnt realise that AT tyres tend to have deeper looking tread.
I soon found out the tyres were actually well shot, and quickly replaced them after a 'sideways moment' into oncoming traffic where a snow-drift had blown across the road.
I was a very lucky boy that day.

You sound right in the sticks - whereabouts?

Last edit: 28 Dec 2018 01:35 by Max Headroom.

• BaldyOldTroll
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 13:06 #199542 by BaldyOldTroll
Thanks I'll take the breaker and an impact socket, I've been told it has a slow puncture on the rear and a tracking damaged tyre on the front, although the spare is supposedly ok, don't know about locking nuts, hopefully the key is there if they are fitted.
I'm in Kintyre, 35 miles from Glasgow as the crow flies, but 120 miles by road, one road in and all it takes is a closure in the right place and the shortest detour is 68 miles extra!

More
28 Dec 2018 13:39 #199544 by Max Headroom

BaldyOldTroll wrote: 120 miles by road, one road in and all it takes is a closure in the right place and the shortest detour is 68 miles extra!

Holy cow! That's some detour :huh:

Good luck with the outing, and hopefully no dramas

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
28 Dec 2018 18:13 #199564 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic New member / new keeper.

BaldyOldTroll wrote: Thanks for the tyre pressure tip, I've a feeling the tyres aren't too good, I'm going to take a gear bag with my 12v compressor, breaker bar and a socket for the wheel nuts/bolts, don't know the size off the top of your head by any chance do you? I live 20 miles past nowhere so I'll be lugging a load of gear with me, need to be able to look after yourself on these roads, no mobile signal in a lot of places.

Jimnys can be completely disassembled with following size sockets: 10,12,13,14,17 & 19, Plus some screwdrivers and lever bars ;-)

Uneven tyre wear on one side is more likely to be kingpin or wheel bearing issues than tracking (unless the panhard or steering bars have been bent). The wiki section of this site has guides to fix everything. Tyre pressures are on a sticker inside the drivers door.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• BaldyOldTroll
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Dec 2018 19:13 #199579 by BaldyOldTroll
That's good, I won't have to buy her a big toolbox then.
I'll dig into the issues when I get it home, just hoping the tyre is still legal.

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds